Sports, Swimming/Diving

Four-team swim meet a success

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team won its third head-to-head event this weekend in Blacksburg, Virginia at the Christiansburg Aquatic Center.

This four-team meet hosted by Virginia Tech provided Miami with a win over UNC-Wilmington with a score of 208-88;  however, the Canes came close to topping Georgia Tech, only missing them by three points with a score of 148-151.

The Hokies emerged victorious by topping all three visiting teams, giving them a good home win.

Sophomore Cameron Davis opened the meet with great form, capturing first place in the 1000-yard freestyle and topping Virginia Tech’s Laura Schwartz by nearly eight seconds with a time of (10:25.63).

In the 1-meter, Miami dominated, taking three of the top four spots. Seniors Thea Vock and Cheyenne Cousineau teamed up with Wally Layland to earn respective scores of (316.75), (295.35) and (285.10).

Vock followed up her second-place finish with top honors in the 3-meter, while senior Heather Arseth took her second top finish of the day in the 100 freestyle with a time of 52.14, just barely catching Adriana Grabski of Virginia Tech with a time of 52.17.

Another noteworthy performance in the 1-meter was delivered by freshman Briadam Herrera, who set a new pool record and took first with a score of 396.20.

Concluding the meet, Arseth, senior Amy Wiley, freshman Julie Suarez and freshman Rebeka Repman captured third place in the 400 free relay entry.

Hurricanes return to the pool for a dual meet at noon on Jan. 31 for Senior Day to face FIU.

Max Sanchez

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...