Sports, Swimming/Diving

Four-team swim meet a success

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team won its third head-to-head event this weekend in Blacksburg, Virginia at the Christiansburg Aquatic Center.

This four-team meet hosted by Virginia Tech provided Miami with a win over UNC-Wilmington with a score of 208-88;  however, the Canes came close to topping Georgia Tech, only missing them by three points with a score of 148-151.

The Hokies emerged victorious by topping all three visiting teams, giving them a good home win.

Sophomore Cameron Davis opened the meet with great form, capturing first place in the 1000-yard freestyle and topping Virginia Tech’s Laura Schwartz by nearly eight seconds with a time of (10:25.63).

In the 1-meter, Miami dominated, taking three of the top four spots. Seniors Thea Vock and Cheyenne Cousineau teamed up with Wally Layland to earn respective scores of (316.75), (295.35) and (285.10).

Vock followed up her second-place finish with top honors in the 3-meter, while senior Heather Arseth took her second top finish of the day in the 100 freestyle with a time of 52.14, just barely catching Adriana Grabski of Virginia Tech with a time of 52.17.

Another noteworthy performance in the 1-meter was delivered by freshman Briadam Herrera, who set a new pool record and took first with a score of 396.20.

Concluding the meet, Arseth, senior Amy Wiley, freshman Julie Suarez and freshman Rebeka Repman captured third place in the 400 free relay entry.

Hurricanes return to the pool for a dual meet at noon on Jan. 31 for Senior Day to face FIU.

Max Sanchez

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...