Sports, Swimming/Diving

Four-team swim meet a success

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team won its third head-to-head event this weekend in Blacksburg, Virginia at the Christiansburg Aquatic Center.

This four-team meet hosted by Virginia Tech provided Miami with a win over UNC-Wilmington with a score of 208-88;  however, the Canes came close to topping Georgia Tech, only missing them by three points with a score of 148-151.

The Hokies emerged victorious by topping all three visiting teams, giving them a good home win.

Sophomore Cameron Davis opened the meet with great form, capturing first place in the 1000-yard freestyle and topping Virginia Tech’s Laura Schwartz by nearly eight seconds with a time of (10:25.63).

In the 1-meter, Miami dominated, taking three of the top four spots. Seniors Thea Vock and Cheyenne Cousineau teamed up with Wally Layland to earn respective scores of (316.75), (295.35) and (285.10).

Vock followed up her second-place finish with top honors in the 3-meter, while senior Heather Arseth took her second top finish of the day in the 100 freestyle with a time of 52.14, just barely catching Adriana Grabski of Virginia Tech with a time of 52.17.

Another noteworthy performance in the 1-meter was delivered by freshman Briadam Herrera, who set a new pool record and took first with a score of 396.20.

Concluding the meet, Arseth, senior Amy Wiley, freshman Julie Suarez and freshman Rebeka Repman captured third place in the 400 free relay entry.

Hurricanes return to the pool for a dual meet at noon on Jan. 31 for Senior Day to face FIU.

Max Sanchez

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...