Community, Edge, Reviews

Comedian Seth Meyers keeps it real, surprises audience

Seth Meyers // Courtesy Ticketmaster

Seth Meyers // Courtesy Ticketmaster

Comedian Seth Meyers’ stand-up routine combines all his roles as joke-writer, sketch-comedy veteran and “Jewish enough” to make for a memorable show.

Meyers (who is always perceived as Jewish but isn’t) performed Friday at the Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater as part of a promotional event presented by Citi. The long-time head writer of Saturday Night Live and host of NBC’s “Late Night with Seth Meyers” got candid about standard comedy areas like politics, sports and marriage.

Aside from his indelible charisma, Meyers has developed a unique comedic voice from his time on Weekend Update. His idiosyncratic take on important issues like President Obama’s recent State of the Union address felt akin to his SNL days, which is always appreciated by long-time fans and newcomers alike.

His bout as a late-night talk show host also influenced the show. Meyers shines when he draws inspiration from his everyday life to fuel his jokes.

Most notably, he spent a great deal of time talking about his recent marriage. For example, he reverses a clothes hanger before his “OCD wife” comes home just so her “Spidey-sense” to fix something is fulfilled.

These kinds of segments created a connection with the audience that was palpable. Whether you are a news junkie or Patriots football fan, you’re guaranteed a laugh during a Meyers show.

Meyers ended with the evening’s biggest surprise: censored jokes that never broadcast on Weekend Update. I find it hard to believe that NBC had a problem with poking fun at an armless man in Germany robbing a store or a “Tyra Banks Show” episode about a woman with two vaginas.

And while Meyers has a tendency to play it safe (in comparison to comedy rebels like Bo Burnham), his charm and wit are enough of a reason to see him outside the confines of 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...