Community, Culture, Reviews

Comedian Seth Meyers keeps it real, surprises audience

Seth Meyers // Courtesy Ticketmaster

Seth Meyers // Courtesy Ticketmaster

Comedian Seth Meyers’ stand-up routine combines all his roles as joke-writer, sketch-comedy veteran and “Jewish enough” to make for a memorable show.

Meyers (who is always perceived as Jewish but isn’t) performed Friday at the Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater as part of a promotional event presented by Citi. The long-time head writer of Saturday Night Live and host of NBC’s “Late Night with Seth Meyers” got candid about standard comedy areas like politics, sports and marriage.

Aside from his indelible charisma, Meyers has developed a unique comedic voice from his time on Weekend Update. His idiosyncratic take on important issues like President Obama’s recent State of the Union address felt akin to his SNL days, which is always appreciated by long-time fans and newcomers alike.

His bout as a late-night talk show host also influenced the show. Meyers shines when he draws inspiration from his everyday life to fuel his jokes.

Most notably, he spent a great deal of time talking about his recent marriage. For example, he reverses a clothes hanger before his “OCD wife” comes home just so her “Spidey-sense” to fix something is fulfilled.

These kinds of segments created a connection with the audience that was palpable. Whether you are a news junkie or Patriots football fan, you’re guaranteed a laugh during a Meyers show.

Meyers ended with the evening’s biggest surprise: censored jokes that never broadcast on Weekend Update. I find it hard to believe that NBC had a problem with poking fun at an armless man in Germany robbing a store or a “Tyra Banks Show” episode about a woman with two vaginas.

And while Meyers has a tendency to play it safe (in comparison to comedy rebels like Bo Burnham), his charm and wit are enough of a reason to see him outside the confines of 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...