Community, Edge, Reviews

Comedian Seth Meyers keeps it real, surprises audience

Seth Meyers // Courtesy Ticketmaster

Seth Meyers // Courtesy Ticketmaster

Comedian Seth Meyers’ stand-up routine combines all his roles as joke-writer, sketch-comedy veteran and “Jewish enough” to make for a memorable show.

Meyers (who is always perceived as Jewish but isn’t) performed Friday at the Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater as part of a promotional event presented by Citi. The long-time head writer of Saturday Night Live and host of NBC’s “Late Night with Seth Meyers” got candid about standard comedy areas like politics, sports and marriage.

Aside from his indelible charisma, Meyers has developed a unique comedic voice from his time on Weekend Update. His idiosyncratic take on important issues like President Obama’s recent State of the Union address felt akin to his SNL days, which is always appreciated by long-time fans and newcomers alike.

His bout as a late-night talk show host also influenced the show. Meyers shines when he draws inspiration from his everyday life to fuel his jokes.

Most notably, he spent a great deal of time talking about his recent marriage. For example, he reverses a clothes hanger before his “OCD wife” comes home just so her “Spidey-sense” to fix something is fulfilled.

These kinds of segments created a connection with the audience that was palpable. Whether you are a news junkie or Patriots football fan, you’re guaranteed a laugh during a Meyers show.

Meyers ended with the evening’s biggest surprise: censored jokes that never broadcast on Weekend Update. I find it hard to believe that NBC had a problem with poking fun at an armless man in Germany robbing a store or a “Tyra Banks Show” episode about a woman with two vaginas.

And while Meyers has a tendency to play it safe (in comparison to comedy rebels like Bo Burnham), his charm and wit are enough of a reason to see him outside the confines of 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...