Choose face-to-face over Facetime interactions

Ilustration by Silvana Arguello

Ilustration by Silvana Arguello

This past summer I spent two weeks in Cost Rica on a volunteer trip without electricity or the use of my cell phone. I learned about being completely off the grid during this time, how much I relied on my phone…and that scared me. Our cell phones have become our social crutch and an excuse to exit any uncomfortable situation. Next time you’re in an elevator notice how everyone is simultaneously engrossed in their phone – it’s a little disturbing. Unfortunately, I believe this crutch is preventing us from developing genuine relationships with our peers.

During the week, I work at the Rat as a server. I serve a lot of different types of customers at my tables – frats, sororities, clubs, parents and their kids, awkward first dates (my personal favorite) – and all too often I find everyone at my table with their head down looking at their phone. Sometimes, I even encounter customers that are perplexed when I drop their food off, and must wake themselves from the coma that a Wikipedia search wormhole has created.

I would be lying if I said I was guiltless, I also love Buzzfeed, twitter, and Instagram, but I still try my hardest not to check my phone around my friends. As much as I love Trivia Crack, I love my friends more. It may sound crazy, but discussing your favorite television show with your friend is far more entertaining than every Buzzfeed post on the topic.

So before our ability to communicate disintegrates completely and we all use Stephen Hawking’s computer program to talk, let’s put away our phones. When you’re out with your friends, actually spend time with them. Talk to them about the things you want to Google, because we need to value this time with our college friends.

After we graduate, some of us will head to Law school, or Medical school, and find jobs far away from Miami. Save your phone for communicating with the people whose beautiful faces you can’t see in person. If you can’t get through a conversation with your friend without using your phone as a crutch, then maybe you should find yourself a better friend, or work on your social skills. The best relationships can stand up on their own.

Rachel Berquist

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...