Culture, Movies

Producer of ‘Avatar,’ ‘Titanic’ to speak at Cosford Monday

Photo Courtesy Weekly Wire

Photo Courtesy Weekly Wire

Academy Award winner Jon Landau, producer of the films “Titanic” and “Avatar,” will host a discussion from 1-3 p.m. Monday at University of Miami’s Bill Cosford Cinema.

The master’s class will be moderated by associate professor John Soliday. The event is open to all university students.

Landau visited the university in 2012, according to an article in E-Veritas. He surprised students by bringing his Oscar Award and inviting student to take pictures with it. 

Landau was nominated for an Academy Award in 2010 for “Best Motion Picture of the Year” for “Avatar.” In 1998, he won the “Best Picture” Oscar for “Titanic.”

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas