Blogs, UBuzz

Frats take over the Rat on Bid Day

Students stand in line to present their IDs before entering the vicinity of the Rathskeller on Friday. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Students stand in line to present their IDs before entering the vicinity of the Rathskeller Friday. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Before fraternities head to the UC Patio at 5 p.m. Friday to give out bids and conclude spring 2015 rush, they are celebrating Bid Day at the Rat. And to accommodate the high traffic and high levels of alcohol consumption, the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) and Rathskeller employees have put in place a new system for the day.

Bid Day is the ceremony at which active fraternity brothers gather to accept new members at the end of rush, the formal recruitment process.

The entire border of the Rathskeller venue has been fenced off, with only one back entrance (and exit) available to students. Students must stand in a line being monitored by Rat employees, who are checking IDs of everyone who walks in. UMPD officers are also on-site.

Students age 21 and over are automatically given a wristband, and students under 21 are marked with a black ‘X’ on their hand.

An employee of the Rathskeller who was giving out wristbands said that this type of setup occurs every year on Bid Day to ensure that any students who are drinking alcohol are at least 21.

This level of security has also been used during Homecoming in the fall as well.

A list of the Rathskeller’s policies, on display at Friday’s temporary entrance, can be seen below.

FullSizeRender (1)

A sign at the Rathskeller explains the sports bar’s policies being strictly enforced Friday. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...