Blogs, UBuzz

Frats take over the Rat on Bid Day

Students stand in line to present their IDs before entering the vicinity of the Rathskeller on Friday. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Students stand in line to present their IDs before entering the vicinity of the Rathskeller Friday. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Before fraternities head to the UC Patio at 5 p.m. Friday to give out bids and conclude spring 2015 rush, they are celebrating Bid Day at the Rat. And to accommodate the high traffic and high levels of alcohol consumption, the University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) and Rathskeller employees have put in place a new system for the day.

Bid Day is the ceremony at which active fraternity brothers gather to accept new members at the end of rush, the formal recruitment process.

The entire border of the Rathskeller venue has been fenced off, with only one back entrance (and exit) available to students. Students must stand in a line being monitored by Rat employees, who are checking IDs of everyone who walks in. UMPD officers are also on-site.

Students age 21 and over are automatically given a wristband, and students under 21 are marked with a black ‘X’ on their hand.

An employee of the Rathskeller who was giving out wristbands said that this type of setup occurs every year on Bid Day to ensure that any students who are drinking alcohol are at least 21.

This level of security has also been used during Homecoming in the fall as well.

A list of the Rathskeller’s policies, on display at Friday’s temporary entrance, can be seen below.

FullSizeRender (1)

A sign at the Rathskeller explains the sports bar’s policies being strictly enforced Friday. Lyssa Goldberg // Online Editor

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...