Basketball, Sports

Miami women’s hoops bounce back versus Virginia

The Miami Hurricanes Women’s basketball team surged past Virginia with help from their bench. The Canes were looking to rebound after a tough loss on the road to No. 16 Duke. Tuesday night, the Virginia Cavaliers (13-6, 3-3 ACC) were in town hoping to deal the Miami Hurricanes (15-4, 5-1 ACC) their second ACC loss of the season.

To say things started off poorly for the Canes would be an understatement. Virginia came out hot and opened the game with a 10-0 run. The Canes, on the other hand, didn’t get their first bucket until Jessica Thomas hit a jumper with 14:40 left in the first half. Foul trouble was also a problem for the Canes. By halftime, four of the five Miami starters were in foul trouble. Luckily, the bench was able to keep the game in reach for the Canes.

Coming into the game, the Canes were looking to slow down Sarah Imovbioh, Virginia’s Center, who is averaging a double-double (14.4 points and 11.4 rebounds) and leading the ACC in rebounds-per-game. With Jassany Williams in foul trouble, Erykah Davenport answered the call in the post.

“I was really coming after [Davenport] this week in practice,” Coach Meier said after the game. “I was really challenging her saying ‘I don’t understand, you’re just as good as this kid…just as physical…just as athletic.’” Davenport proved Coach Meier right and grabbed nine boards on the night.

On the other end of the court, the Hurricanes found a way to overcome a poor shooting night. In the first half, the Canes missed 11 of their 12 attempts from beyond the arc. Again the catalyst in turning the game around came from the bench. Michelle “Shelly” Woods led all bench scorers with 12 points.

“Shelly came in, got the momentum going,” Thomas said after the game. “After that, we were just feeding off of each other.” Nobody harnessed the momentum from the Miami bench as well as Thomas did. She started the second half with a layup to even the score at 27, and then went on to score 12 more second-half points. Thomas finished with a game-high 18 points.

Sebastian the Ibis also provided some much needed energy to the crowd at the BankUnited Center. During halftime, Sebastian broke the record for Guinness World Record for most hugs given by a mascot in one minute. Sebastian gave 100 hugs to fans in attendance at the game, shattering the previous record of 75 hugs, which was set in 2013.

With the crowd noticeably energized and with their starters fresh thanks to great bench play, the Miami Hurricanes outscored Virginia 42-31 in the second half. The final score of the game was 67-58, in favor of the Canes.

This win ends a stretch of three games in six days for the Hurricanes. Now they have a six-day break. However, the relaxation will be minimal, as the Canes prepare to take on No. 4 Louisville on Sunday. The Cardinals are currently first in ACC rankings, and Coach Meier and the Canes will have to be at their best to take that number one spot.

Featured image courtesy Hurricane Sports

Matthew Ishahak

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...