Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball set to take on talented NC State

Thursday marks another test for Jim Larrañaga’s enigmatic University of Miami men’s basketball team, as the Hurricanes host North Carolina State at 8 p.m. in the BankUnited Center.

“It’s gonna be a hard-nosed, one-on-one game,” said junior Sheldon McClellan.

The Hurricanes (12-5, 3-1 ACC) find themselves on the cusp of relevancy, standing just outside the AP Top 25 basketball rankings released Monday. Larranaga’s boys recently returned from a two game road trip resulting in a win at Duke and a loss at Notre Dame.

The Wolfpack (13-6, 3-1 ACC) also boast a win over the Blue Devils, beating Duke two days before the Hurricanes did.

“I really believe they are the most talented, athletic team in the [ACC],” Larrañaga said.

A pair of veteran guards, senior Ralston Turner and junior Trevor Lacey have led NC State to the top field goal percentage in league play, while also being the best three-point shooting backcourt in the ACC. It will be an interesting match up for juniors Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan.

The relative talent of this iteration of the Miami Hurricanes remains unknown. Despite showing considerable promise in victories at Duke and over Florida, Larrañaga’s team has also embarrassingly lost to mid-majors Green Bay and Eastern Kentucky at home, the latter by 28 points.

Mark Poulose

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...