Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball set to take on talented NC State

Thursday marks another test for Jim Larrañaga’s enigmatic University of Miami men’s basketball team, as the Hurricanes host North Carolina State at 8 p.m. in the BankUnited Center.

“It’s gonna be a hard-nosed, one-on-one game,” said junior Sheldon McClellan.

The Hurricanes (12-5, 3-1 ACC) find themselves on the cusp of relevancy, standing just outside the AP Top 25 basketball rankings released Monday. Larranaga’s boys recently returned from a two game road trip resulting in a win at Duke and a loss at Notre Dame.

The Wolfpack (13-6, 3-1 ACC) also boast a win over the Blue Devils, beating Duke two days before the Hurricanes did.

“I really believe they are the most talented, athletic team in the [ACC],” Larrañaga said.

A pair of veteran guards, senior Ralston Turner and junior Trevor Lacey have led NC State to the top field goal percentage in league play, while also being the best three-point shooting backcourt in the ACC. It will be an interesting match up for juniors Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan.

The relative talent of this iteration of the Miami Hurricanes remains unknown. Despite showing considerable promise in victories at Duke and over Florida, Larrañaga’s team has also embarrassingly lost to mid-majors Green Bay and Eastern Kentucky at home, the latter by 28 points.

Mark Poulose

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...