Sports, Tennis

Tennis team starts season strong

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 7.01.31 PM

Photo Courtesy HurricaneSports

There’s no place like home for the University of Miami women’s tennis team, especially when the Canes pick up a No. 13 ranking in the country along the way.

The Hurricanes kicked off the 2014-2015 schedule with the Miami Spring Invite that featured battles by junior Stephanie Wagner and freshmen Sinead Lohan and Wendy Zhang. Overall, the full team went on to win 28 out of 37 matchups against No. 22 University of Texas, No. 44 University of Utah and No. 11 Vanderbilt University.

“I was really happy with the girls’ performances today,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told HurricaneSports. “We knew that we needed to set a positive tone today … so it was important for us to go out and have a great showing.”

The doubles duo of Wagner and senior Lina Lileikite continued to climb the rankings ladder with a decisive 6-2 win to claim the eighth spot in the nation. No. 15-ranked veterans Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno struggled in the opener, dropping their first two games despite a close 7-6 tiebreak against Vanderbilt. They came back to win their final matchup and the first match of the day on Sunday morning.

In singles play, Wagner started strong with a 6-4, 6-1 romp of Utah’s Tereza Bekerova to snag the No. 7 ranking in the country, despite dropping two grueling three-set matches afterward. On the final day, all five of Miami’s freshman singles players (Judith Bohnenkamp, Silvia Fuentes, Yolimar Ogando, Lohan and Zhang) won their matches in straight sets.

The Hurricanes are back home again this weekend to host the ITA National Indoor Kick-Off Weekend. They will host No. 30 Florida State University, No. 52 University of South Florida and the University of North Florida in a bracket-style tournament Saturday and Sunday starting at 10 a.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Alexa Pappas

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first dual match of the 2019 campaign Friday ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will open the 2019 dual season when it faces Stetson ...