Basketball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 1/22

SPORTS_MensTennis_GF

Freshman Piotr Lomacki (front) and Senior Henrique Tsukamoto play doubles during Monday’s match against UCF, held at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Canes lost 3-4. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Men’s Basketball

Miami men’s basketball team will take on NC State at home at 8 p.m. Thursday. The Canes are  7-11 all-time against the Wolfpack, going as far back as the 1939-40 season. NC State won the last matchup with Miami 67-58 in March at Greensboro Coliseum. This season, the Canes are 12-5 overall and 2-2 in the ACC. Head Coach Jim Larrañaga has a 548-375 overall record in his 31st season as a head coach. He is 78-41 in his fourth season as a Cane, with 33-23 in ACC play. For more coverage, go to themiamihurricane.com/section/sports/basketball-sports/.

Track and Field

Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley is honored as ACC Women’s Track Performer of the Week after a strong start to the 2015 season of indoor track and field. Wimbley won the women’s 200 meters with a personal best time of 23.35 seconds that, ranking fourth on Miami’s all-time indoor list and second in the NCAA this season at the Nittany Lion Challenge Saturday in State College, Pa. She also ran in the Canes 4×400 relay win with a time of 3:35.93, the second-fastest time in the country this season. The Canes will be running again on Friday and Saturday this weekend at the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet in Lexington, Ky.

Courtney Fiorini

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...