Basketball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 1/22

SPORTS_MensTennis_GF

Freshman Piotr Lomacki (front) and Senior Henrique Tsukamoto play doubles during Monday’s match against UCF, held at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Canes lost 3-4. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Men’s Basketball

Miami men’s basketball team will take on NC State at home at 8 p.m. Thursday. The Canes are  7-11 all-time against the Wolfpack, going as far back as the 1939-40 season. NC State won the last matchup with Miami 67-58 in March at Greensboro Coliseum. This season, the Canes are 12-5 overall and 2-2 in the ACC. Head Coach Jim Larrañaga has a 548-375 overall record in his 31st season as a head coach. He is 78-41 in his fourth season as a Cane, with 33-23 in ACC play. For more coverage, go to themiamihurricane.com/section/sports/basketball-sports/.

Track and Field

Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley is honored as ACC Women’s Track Performer of the Week after a strong start to the 2015 season of indoor track and field. Wimbley won the women’s 200 meters with a personal best time of 23.35 seconds that, ranking fourth on Miami’s all-time indoor list and second in the NCAA this season at the Nittany Lion Challenge Saturday in State College, Pa. She also ran in the Canes 4×400 relay win with a time of 3:35.93, the second-fastest time in the country this season. The Canes will be running again on Friday and Saturday this weekend at the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet in Lexington, Ky.

Courtney Fiorini

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...