Basketball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 1/22

SPORTS_MensTennis_GF

Freshman Piotr Lomacki (front) and Senior Henrique Tsukamoto play doubles during Monday’s match against UCF, held at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Canes lost 3-4. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Men’s Basketball

Miami men’s basketball team will take on NC State at home at 8 p.m. Thursday. The Canes are  7-11 all-time against the Wolfpack, going as far back as the 1939-40 season. NC State won the last matchup with Miami 67-58 in March at Greensboro Coliseum. This season, the Canes are 12-5 overall and 2-2 in the ACC. Head Coach Jim Larrañaga has a 548-375 overall record in his 31st season as a head coach. He is 78-41 in his fourth season as a Cane, with 33-23 in ACC play. For more coverage, go to themiamihurricane.com/section/sports/basketball-sports/.

Track and Field

Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley is honored as ACC Women’s Track Performer of the Week after a strong start to the 2015 season of indoor track and field. Wimbley won the women’s 200 meters with a personal best time of 23.35 seconds that, ranking fourth on Miami’s all-time indoor list and second in the NCAA this season at the Nittany Lion Challenge Saturday in State College, Pa. She also ran in the Canes 4×400 relay win with a time of 3:35.93, the second-fastest time in the country this season. The Canes will be running again on Friday and Saturday this weekend at the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet in Lexington, Ky.

Courtney Fiorini

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...