News Briefs 1/22

As part of Monday’s MLK Day of Service, UM students traveled to Brownsville Middle School, located in northern Miami-Dade County, where they partook in various projects to beautify the school. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Volunteers for Tunnel of Oppression

The annual Tunnel of Oppression needs volunteers to make the multisensory experience come to life. Tunnel of Oppression is designed to put participants out of their comfort zone and expose them to the social injustice that exist in society today. Participants will be guided through rooms highlighting different issues such as gender and body image, environmental and animal rights, education, human trafficking, religion, racism, LGBTQ issues, disabilities, and sexual assault and domestic violence. Volunteers need to build decorations and act as tour guides and room operators. Tunnel of Oppression will take place from 4–10 p.m. from Jan. 26-28 on the third floor of the Student Activities Center. To volunteer, contact Tunnel of Oppression at tunnel.recruitment@gmail.com or visit http://tinyurl.com/UMTunnel.

Pat Riley and Mike Fernandez Come to Campus

Miami Heat President Pat Riley and renowned entrepreneur, Mike Fernandez, will be coming to University of Miami to share life lessons on how to succeed in business, sports and life. Riley is considered one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, with a 38-year career filled with milestones, including five NBA Championship titles. Fernandez is the founder of MBF Healthcare Partners, a private equity firm worth billions, and was named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 1995. He will also be presenting his new book “Humbled by the Journey: Life Lessons For My Family … And Yours,” a salute to overcoming obstacles and the rewards of hard work. The event is sponsored by UM and Books & Books. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and the conversation will start at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 10 in Storer Auditorium. The event is free and open to the University community. To attend, RSVP to 305-284-4085 or lponce@miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com 

Alina Zerpa

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...