News Briefs 1/22

As part of Monday’s MLK Day of Service, UM students traveled to Brownsville Middle School, located in northern Miami-Dade County, where they partook in various projects to beautify the school. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Volunteers for Tunnel of Oppression

The annual Tunnel of Oppression needs volunteers to make the multisensory experience come to life. Tunnel of Oppression is designed to put participants out of their comfort zone and expose them to the social injustice that exist in society today. Participants will be guided through rooms highlighting different issues such as gender and body image, environmental and animal rights, education, human trafficking, religion, racism, LGBTQ issues, disabilities, and sexual assault and domestic violence. Volunteers need to build decorations and act as tour guides and room operators. Tunnel of Oppression will take place from 4–10 p.m. from Jan. 26-28 on the third floor of the Student Activities Center. To volunteer, contact Tunnel of Oppression at tunnel.recruitment@gmail.com or visit http://tinyurl.com/UMTunnel.

Pat Riley and Mike Fernandez Come to Campus

Miami Heat President Pat Riley and renowned entrepreneur, Mike Fernandez, will be coming to University of Miami to share life lessons on how to succeed in business, sports and life. Riley is considered one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, with a 38-year career filled with milestones, including five NBA Championship titles. Fernandez is the founder of MBF Healthcare Partners, a private equity firm worth billions, and was named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 1995. He will also be presenting his new book “Humbled by the Journey: Life Lessons For My Family … And Yours,” a salute to overcoming obstacles and the rewards of hard work. The event is sponsored by UM and Books & Books. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and the conversation will start at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 10 in Storer Auditorium. The event is free and open to the University community. To attend, RSVP to 305-284-4085 or lponce@miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com 

Alina Zerpa

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...