News Briefs 1/22

As part of Monday’s MLK Day of Service, UM students traveled to Brownsville Middle School, located in northern Miami-Dade County, where they partook in various projects to beautify the school. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Volunteers for Tunnel of Oppression

The annual Tunnel of Oppression needs volunteers to make the multisensory experience come to life. Tunnel of Oppression is designed to put participants out of their comfort zone and expose them to the social injustice that exist in society today. Participants will be guided through rooms highlighting different issues such as gender and body image, environmental and animal rights, education, human trafficking, religion, racism, LGBTQ issues, disabilities, and sexual assault and domestic violence. Volunteers need to build decorations and act as tour guides and room operators. Tunnel of Oppression will take place from 4–10 p.m. from Jan. 26-28 on the third floor of the Student Activities Center. To volunteer, contact Tunnel of Oppression at tunnel.recruitment@gmail.com or visit http://tinyurl.com/UMTunnel.

Pat Riley and Mike Fernandez Come to Campus

Miami Heat President Pat Riley and renowned entrepreneur, Mike Fernandez, will be coming to University of Miami to share life lessons on how to succeed in business, sports and life. Riley is considered one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, with a 38-year career filled with milestones, including five NBA Championship titles. Fernandez is the founder of MBF Healthcare Partners, a private equity firm worth billions, and was named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 1995. He will also be presenting his new book “Humbled by the Journey: Life Lessons For My Family … And Yours,” a salute to overcoming obstacles and the rewards of hard work. The event is sponsored by UM and Books & Books. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and the conversation will start at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 10 in Storer Auditorium. The event is free and open to the University community. To attend, RSVP to 305-284-4085 or lponce@miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com 

Alina Zerpa

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...