News Briefs 1/22

As part of Monday’s MLK Day of Service, UM students traveled to Brownsville Middle School, located in northern Miami-Dade County, where they partook in various projects to beautify the school. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Volunteers for Tunnel of Oppression

The annual Tunnel of Oppression needs volunteers to make the multisensory experience come to life. Tunnel of Oppression is designed to put participants out of their comfort zone and expose them to the social injustice that exist in society today. Participants will be guided through rooms highlighting different issues such as gender and body image, environmental and animal rights, education, human trafficking, religion, racism, LGBTQ issues, disabilities, and sexual assault and domestic violence. Volunteers need to build decorations and act as tour guides and room operators. Tunnel of Oppression will take place from 4–10 p.m. from Jan. 26-28 on the third floor of the Student Activities Center. To volunteer, contact Tunnel of Oppression at tunnel.recruitment@gmail.com or visit http://tinyurl.com/UMTunnel.

Pat Riley and Mike Fernandez Come to Campus

Miami Heat President Pat Riley and renowned entrepreneur, Mike Fernandez, will be coming to University of Miami to share life lessons on how to succeed in business, sports and life. Riley is considered one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, with a 38-year career filled with milestones, including five NBA Championship titles. Fernandez is the founder of MBF Healthcare Partners, a private equity firm worth billions, and was named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 1995. He will also be presenting his new book “Humbled by the Journey: Life Lessons For My Family … And Yours,” a salute to overcoming obstacles and the rewards of hard work. The event is sponsored by UM and Books & Books. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and the conversation will start at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 10 in Storer Auditorium. The event is free and open to the University community. To attend, RSVP to 305-284-4085 or lponce@miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com 

Alina Zerpa

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...