News Briefs 1/22

As part of Monday’s MLK Day of Service, UM students traveled to Brownsville Middle School, located in northern Miami-Dade County, where they partook in various projects to beautify the school. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Volunteers for Tunnel of Oppression

The annual Tunnel of Oppression needs volunteers to make the multisensory experience come to life. Tunnel of Oppression is designed to put participants out of their comfort zone and expose them to the social injustice that exist in society today. Participants will be guided through rooms highlighting different issues such as gender and body image, environmental and animal rights, education, human trafficking, religion, racism, LGBTQ issues, disabilities, and sexual assault and domestic violence. Volunteers need to build decorations and act as tour guides and room operators. Tunnel of Oppression will take place from 4–10 p.m. from Jan. 26-28 on the third floor of the Student Activities Center. To volunteer, contact Tunnel of Oppression at tunnel.recruitment@gmail.com or visit http://tinyurl.com/UMTunnel.

Pat Riley and Mike Fernandez Come to Campus

Miami Heat President Pat Riley and renowned entrepreneur, Mike Fernandez, will be coming to University of Miami to share life lessons on how to succeed in business, sports and life. Riley is considered one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, with a 38-year career filled with milestones, including five NBA Championship titles. Fernandez is the founder of MBF Healthcare Partners, a private equity firm worth billions, and was named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in 1995. He will also be presenting his new book “Humbled by the Journey: Life Lessons For My Family … And Yours,” a salute to overcoming obstacles and the rewards of hard work. The event is sponsored by UM and Books & Books. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and the conversation will start at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 10 in Storer Auditorium. The event is free and open to the University community. To attend, RSVP to 305-284-4085 or lponce@miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com 

Alina Zerpa

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

The singer, songwriter, actress, and entrepreneur will share insights and advice from her more than ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...