V's Take

Dear V: Commencement or commitment?

V,

My boyfriend and I have been seeing each other since freshman year, and we’re both set to graduate in May. Before we left for winter break, he brought up the idea of marriage. He pointed out that we’re going to have to start considering the future, and he seems to think the best way to ensure we stay together after graduation is to get married right away. I really love him, but I’m not sure if I’m ready for that kind of commitment at 22. I feel like a horrible person because, if I loved him as much as I say I do, I would want to get married … wouldn’t I?

Sincerely,

Say Maybe to the Ring

Dear Runaway Bride,

First of all, I just have to ask – are you and your boyfriend unicorns? Because remaining in a relationship for four years in a time when sexting counts as intimacy is impressive. Congrats on your commitment – my focus barely extends through a whole “Game of Thrones” episode.

That being said, being in love at 22 doesn’t mean it’s going to be forever, despite what the love lists on Elite Daily tell you. I don’t think that swapping your graduation gown for a wedding dress is the necessary next step, even in a long-term relationship. Your 20s are your time to explore and grow. Not saying you can’t do that with the old ball and chain around, but do you really want to be the 22-year-old with a hubby?

I would sit your boy down and tell him that your senior year is about grad school apps, not seating charts. Explain how you’re feeling. I’m told that those mythical long-term relationships only last with communication. Now is definitely an important time to speak up – unless you want the next time the subject comes up to be when he passes you a bread roll with an engagement ring shoved in it.

If your relationship is as great as you think it is, then I’m confident you guys will figure it out. Maybe start with a smaller step, like moving in together or getting a pet turtle. In lasting relationships (and marriages), convos like this are the norm. And if he takes the rejection too hard, then think of it this way – better you see it now than after you’ve said “I do.”

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...