Edge, Movies

Cosford Cinema spring lineup features classics, contemporaries

Photo Courtesy Cinematic Arts Commission

If you’re looking for more movies, the Cosford Cinema is the place to get your fix.

The university’s Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC) announced its movie lineup for the spring semester on Jan. 12.

Showings begin this week at the Cosford Cinema with “Gone Girl,” the popular thriller starring Ben Affleck, based on the book by Gillian Flynn. The lineup contains a wide range of genres and timeframes, from the classic “The Big Lebowski” to the contemporary and controversial “The Interview.”

In addition to this lineup, the Cosford Cinema will also play “Kingsman: The Secret Service,” at 8 p.m. Thursday, even though the film is not set to premiere across the United States until Feb. 13.

The CAC decided on the movie lineup at the end of the fall semester, according to senior Robert Pinney, CAC chair. The schedule consists of 11 movies, plus two “classic” movies, ones that have not been shown in the past four years.

“When choosing movies, members keep in mind which movies are both highly rated and popular, as some Oscar contenders are small releases with fewer viewers,” Pinney said.

On the weeks that movies show in the Cosford Cinema, the film company sends the film to the theater in the form of a hard drive, Pinney said. At the theater, the hard drive is tested, and on the day of the showing projectionist Michael Blain operates the projector.

If students are interested in learning more, CAC meetings take place at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays in the Student Activities Center (SAC) Vista Room. Movies in the lineup will be shown Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9:30 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema.

For more information on movies playing at the Cosford Cinema, visit cosfordcinema.com/showtime-calendar.

Esther Ponce De Leon

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...