Edge, Movies

Cosford Cinema spring lineup features classics, contemporaries

Photo Courtesy Cinematic Arts Commission

If you’re looking for more movies, the Cosford Cinema is the place to get your fix.

The university’s Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC) announced its movie lineup for the spring semester on Jan. 12.

Showings begin this week at the Cosford Cinema with “Gone Girl,” the popular thriller starring Ben Affleck, based on the book by Gillian Flynn. The lineup contains a wide range of genres and timeframes, from the classic “The Big Lebowski” to the contemporary and controversial “The Interview.”

In addition to this lineup, the Cosford Cinema will also play “Kingsman: The Secret Service,” at 8 p.m. Thursday, even though the film is not set to premiere across the United States until Feb. 13.

The CAC decided on the movie lineup at the end of the fall semester, according to senior Robert Pinney, CAC chair. The schedule consists of 11 movies, plus two “classic” movies, ones that have not been shown in the past four years.

“When choosing movies, members keep in mind which movies are both highly rated and popular, as some Oscar contenders are small releases with fewer viewers,” Pinney said.

On the weeks that movies show in the Cosford Cinema, the film company sends the film to the theater in the form of a hard drive, Pinney said. At the theater, the hard drive is tested, and on the day of the showing projectionist Michael Blain operates the projector.

If students are interested in learning more, CAC meetings take place at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays in the Student Activities Center (SAC) Vista Room. Movies in the lineup will be shown Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9:30 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema.

For more information on movies playing at the Cosford Cinema, visit cosfordcinema.com/showtime-calendar.

Esther Ponce De Leon

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...