Edge, Food

Built and Tossed offer affordable custom dining options

Design by Emma Deardorff

Design by Emma Deardorff

Vegetarians and burger enthusiasts can get their fix thanks to two new dining options that allow students to customize their meals to satisfy any taste buds.

Built Custom Burgers dishes up burgers while Tossed serves up salads, and both offer customization that provide a new level of variety – something most college students long for in their dining options. For hungry students with a particular craving or a desire to create their own culinary masterpiece, Built and Tossed are the places to be during the lunchtime rush.

Tossed’s menu includes pre-designed salads like Greek, Asian Chicken and Apple Walnut, as well as the option to “Design Your Own.” Students can choose their preferred greens and pick from an extensive list of add-ins and dressings that includes just about anything one could imagine.

“This is similar to the salad bar at the old food court,” said senior Alyssa Soffer. “I’m happy that I went; it was good. The only place you could get a salad was at Oasis and the old food court, so now this was necessary.”

If salads are not enough to satisfy, Tossed also serves gourmet wraps, artisanal sandwiches, soups and melts.

“I always get a custom salad and throw in whatever I’m in the mood to eat that day,” said freshman Sophie Schummer. “I really love the pesto chicken, and I like adding lots of veggies.”

Tossed’s menu is clearly labeled with many gluten-free, fat-free and vegetarian options, so students with dietary restrictions won’t be at a loss for dining choices.

Like Tossed, Built allows students to get creative with their meals. Students can choose from a beef, chicken, veggie or turkey burger and pick a type of bun, or even opt for a bowl. Then diners can choose from 17 toppings, 12 sauces and four side dishes.

At Built, students really get their money’s worth. The $9.75 combo includes a customized burger, regular-sized fries and a drink.

“Built is really organized and very thought out,” said freshman Alex Malaret. “Not to mention, it’s cheap for what you get and tastes really good. I created what I call the Alex Bowl: it’s a turkey burger on greens – really tasty.”

According to UM Dining Manager Armando S. Cuervo, these two additions, opened in mid-January, are part of the second phase of the Hurricane Food Court renovations that began two years ago.

The first phase opened in the summer of 2014 and included the new Outtakes Convenience Store along with the Corner Deli. During phase two in the fall of 2014, the Hurricane Food Court added Sushi Maki, Innovation Kitchen, Pollo Tropical, Panda Express and Subway.

Jamie Herman

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...