Culture, Food

Built and Tossed offer affordable custom dining options

Design by Emma Deardorff

Design by Emma Deardorff

Vegetarians and burger enthusiasts can get their fix thanks to two new dining options that allow students to customize their meals to satisfy any taste buds.

Built Custom Burgers dishes up burgers while Tossed serves up salads, and both offer customization that provide a new level of variety – something most college students long for in their dining options. For hungry students with a particular craving or a desire to create their own culinary masterpiece, Built and Tossed are the places to be during the lunchtime rush.

Tossed’s menu includes pre-designed salads like Greek, Asian Chicken and Apple Walnut, as well as the option to “Design Your Own.” Students can choose their preferred greens and pick from an extensive list of add-ins and dressings that includes just about anything one could imagine.

“This is similar to the salad bar at the old food court,” said senior Alyssa Soffer. “I’m happy that I went; it was good. The only place you could get a salad was at Oasis and the old food court, so now this was necessary.”

If salads are not enough to satisfy, Tossed also serves gourmet wraps, artisanal sandwiches, soups and melts.

“I always get a custom salad and throw in whatever I’m in the mood to eat that day,” said freshman Sophie Schummer. “I really love the pesto chicken, and I like adding lots of veggies.”

Tossed’s menu is clearly labeled with many gluten-free, fat-free and vegetarian options, so students with dietary restrictions won’t be at a loss for dining choices.

Like Tossed, Built allows students to get creative with their meals. Students can choose from a beef, chicken, veggie or turkey burger and pick a type of bun, or even opt for a bowl. Then diners can choose from 17 toppings, 12 sauces and four side dishes.

At Built, students really get their money’s worth. The $9.75 combo includes a customized burger, regular-sized fries and a drink.

“Built is really organized and very thought out,” said freshman Alex Malaret. “Not to mention, it’s cheap for what you get and tastes really good. I created what I call the Alex Bowl: it’s a turkey burger on greens – really tasty.”

According to UM Dining Manager Armando S. Cuervo, these two additions, opened in mid-January, are part of the second phase of the Hurricane Food Court renovations that began two years ago.

The first phase opened in the summer of 2014 and included the new Outtakes Convenience Store along with the Corner Deli. During phase two in the fall of 2014, the Hurricane Food Court added Sushi Maki, Innovation Kitchen, Pollo Tropical, Panda Express and Subway.

Jamie Herman

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...