Edge, Food

Built and Tossed offer affordable custom dining options

Design by Emma Deardorff

Design by Emma Deardorff

Vegetarians and burger enthusiasts can get their fix thanks to two new dining options that allow students to customize their meals to satisfy any taste buds.

Built Custom Burgers dishes up burgers while Tossed serves up salads, and both offer customization that provide a new level of variety – something most college students long for in their dining options. For hungry students with a particular craving or a desire to create their own culinary masterpiece, Built and Tossed are the places to be during the lunchtime rush.

Tossed’s menu includes pre-designed salads like Greek, Asian Chicken and Apple Walnut, as well as the option to “Design Your Own.” Students can choose their preferred greens and pick from an extensive list of add-ins and dressings that includes just about anything one could imagine.

“This is similar to the salad bar at the old food court,” said senior Alyssa Soffer. “I’m happy that I went; it was good. The only place you could get a salad was at Oasis and the old food court, so now this was necessary.”

If salads are not enough to satisfy, Tossed also serves gourmet wraps, artisanal sandwiches, soups and melts.

“I always get a custom salad and throw in whatever I’m in the mood to eat that day,” said freshman Sophie Schummer. “I really love the pesto chicken, and I like adding lots of veggies.”

Tossed’s menu is clearly labeled with many gluten-free, fat-free and vegetarian options, so students with dietary restrictions won’t be at a loss for dining choices.

Like Tossed, Built allows students to get creative with their meals. Students can choose from a beef, chicken, veggie or turkey burger and pick a type of bun, or even opt for a bowl. Then diners can choose from 17 toppings, 12 sauces and four side dishes.

At Built, students really get their money’s worth. The $9.75 combo includes a customized burger, regular-sized fries and a drink.

“Built is really organized and very thought out,” said freshman Alex Malaret. “Not to mention, it’s cheap for what you get and tastes really good. I created what I call the Alex Bowl: it’s a turkey burger on greens – really tasty.”

According to UM Dining Manager Armando S. Cuervo, these two additions, opened in mid-January, are part of the second phase of the Hurricane Food Court renovations that began two years ago.

The first phase opened in the summer of 2014 and included the new Outtakes Convenience Store along with the Corner Deli. During phase two in the fall of 2014, the Hurricane Food Court added Sushi Maki, Innovation Kitchen, Pollo Tropical, Panda Express and Subway.

Jamie Herman

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...