Edge, Food

Built and Tossed offer affordable custom dining options

Design by Emma Deardorff

Design by Emma Deardorff

Vegetarians and burger enthusiasts can get their fix thanks to two new dining options that allow students to customize their meals to satisfy any taste buds.

Built Custom Burgers dishes up burgers while Tossed serves up salads, and both offer customization that provide a new level of variety – something most college students long for in their dining options. For hungry students with a particular craving or a desire to create their own culinary masterpiece, Built and Tossed are the places to be during the lunchtime rush.

Tossed’s menu includes pre-designed salads like Greek, Asian Chicken and Apple Walnut, as well as the option to “Design Your Own.” Students can choose their preferred greens and pick from an extensive list of add-ins and dressings that includes just about anything one could imagine.

“This is similar to the salad bar at the old food court,” said senior Alyssa Soffer. “I’m happy that I went; it was good. The only place you could get a salad was at Oasis and the old food court, so now this was necessary.”

If salads are not enough to satisfy, Tossed also serves gourmet wraps, artisanal sandwiches, soups and melts.

“I always get a custom salad and throw in whatever I’m in the mood to eat that day,” said freshman Sophie Schummer. “I really love the pesto chicken, and I like adding lots of veggies.”

Tossed’s menu is clearly labeled with many gluten-free, fat-free and vegetarian options, so students with dietary restrictions won’t be at a loss for dining choices.

Like Tossed, Built allows students to get creative with their meals. Students can choose from a beef, chicken, veggie or turkey burger and pick a type of bun, or even opt for a bowl. Then diners can choose from 17 toppings, 12 sauces and four side dishes.

At Built, students really get their money’s worth. The $9.75 combo includes a customized burger, regular-sized fries and a drink.

“Built is really organized and very thought out,” said freshman Alex Malaret. “Not to mention, it’s cheap for what you get and tastes really good. I created what I call the Alex Bowl: it’s a turkey burger on greens – really tasty.”

According to UM Dining Manager Armando S. Cuervo, these two additions, opened in mid-January, are part of the second phase of the Hurricane Food Court renovations that began two years ago.

The first phase opened in the summer of 2014 and included the new Outtakes Convenience Store along with the Corner Deli. During phase two in the fall of 2014, the Hurricane Food Court added Sushi Maki, Innovation Kitchen, Pollo Tropical, Panda Express and Subway.

Jamie Herman

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...