Commentary, Football, Sports

Commentary: Team reputation at risk

Since Al Golden’s introduction into Miami’s football program in 2011, he has achieved a 28-22 record and a .560 winning percentage. Looking at these numbers, Randy Shannon was terminated for ending the 2010 football season with a 7-5 record.

There has been much speculation as to why Golden is still the head coach and why his contract was extended to 2019. It can be said that there is plenty of talent on this squad. However, the coaching is what is lacking, beginning with our defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio. With constant backing from Golden, D’Onofrio has secured his job.

At the end of this season, with the Canes finishing with a mediocre 6-7, which includes a bowl game loss, Golden did not have much to comment, but only mentioned that he would think everything over during the off season.

Keeping Golden would create problems for the program. For example, recruiting is one of the biggest issues. So far, there have been eight decommitments from prominent high school recruits and that number is slowly rising.

A team cannot progress, add assets and improve if recruiting classes are weak.

There is a recruiting threat with Shannon becoming a Florida Gator. To truly recruit the best athletes from the state, we really need someone who can get the job done.

Other problems like losing fans and potential donors could severely cripple the athletic program.

Two great candidates for Golden’s position would be former coach Butch Davis and former Hurricane and FIU head coach Mario Cristobal. Butch has expressed interest in the position if it were to become available, and Cristobal would heavily consider the offer to return to Miami from his current work in Alabama.

In Alabama, Cristobal has enhanced his knowledge through his work with Alabama Head Coach Nick Saban. Saban is one of the best in the business and has been a positive influence on Cristobal. Butch has won a championship with UM already and said that leaving Miami was a tragic mistake.

Although firing Golden and his staff would be expensive, the new Adidas deal is kicking in good money to restructure the program. Also, by winning again, the program will return to the winning status that it should be in.

Max Sanchez is a senior majoring in sports administration.

Read the counterargument by Courtney Fiorni here.

Max Sanchez

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...