Edge, Movies

5 must-see movies at Cosford this semester

In day-to-day life, students often get consumed by their small screens – smart phones, tablets and laptops. These hand-held devices make entertainment convenient when on the go, but for a larger-than-life experience, visit the university’s Cosford Cinema, where students can watch the latest films for free.

If students don’t have time to check out every screening, here are Edge’s five must-see screenings at the Cosford this semester.

1. “The Interview” This controversial comedy, starring Seth Rogen and James Franco, made international news when cyber-attacks and threats were made against Sony and any movie theater that screened the film. With people from all sides giving their opinions about Hollywood, free speech and consumer safety, many mainstream theaters cancelled its showing. Now UM students can see the film that sparked global media attention spanning political, celebrity and entertainment spheres.

2. “Kingsman: The Secret Service” Students will have a chance to view this action-filled spy movie at 8 p.m. Thursday – nearly three weeks before it hits theaters on Feb. 13. A sneak peek is the best way to watch an espionage film about the Secret Service.

3. “The Theory of Everything” This biopic about Stephen Hawking received four Golden Globe nominations and won two: Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama for Eddie Redmayne’s role as Hawking and Best Original Score. Students can check out this award-winning movie to experience the early life of physicist Stephen Hawking and his ambitious study of time.

4. “Oscar-Nominated Short Films” The Cosford will present all 15 of the 2015 Oscar-Nominated short films in three separate programs: Live Action, Animation and Documentary. Check out the programs to feel like a know-it-all while watching the 87th Academy Awards Feb. 22.

5. “Interstellar” This science-fiction film features major star power with director Christopher Nolan and actors Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, Mackenzie Foy and Matt Damon. The futuristic movie shows a crew of astronauts looking for a new home for the human race as the Earth dies. With dramatic scenes set in space and the rich colors of different planets, it should be experienced on a large screen.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...