Edge, Movies

5 must-see movies at Cosford this semester

In day-to-day life, students often get consumed by their small screens – smart phones, tablets and laptops. These hand-held devices make entertainment convenient when on the go, but for a larger-than-life experience, visit the university’s Cosford Cinema, where students can watch the latest films for free.

If students don’t have time to check out every screening, here are Edge’s five must-see screenings at the Cosford this semester.

1. “The Interview” This controversial comedy, starring Seth Rogen and James Franco, made international news when cyber-attacks and threats were made against Sony and any movie theater that screened the film. With people from all sides giving their opinions about Hollywood, free speech and consumer safety, many mainstream theaters cancelled its showing. Now UM students can see the film that sparked global media attention spanning political, celebrity and entertainment spheres.

2. “Kingsman: The Secret Service” Students will have a chance to view this action-filled spy movie at 8 p.m. Thursday – nearly three weeks before it hits theaters on Feb. 13. A sneak peek is the best way to watch an espionage film about the Secret Service.

3. “The Theory of Everything” This biopic about Stephen Hawking received four Golden Globe nominations and won two: Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama for Eddie Redmayne’s role as Hawking and Best Original Score. Students can check out this award-winning movie to experience the early life of physicist Stephen Hawking and his ambitious study of time.

4. “Oscar-Nominated Short Films” The Cosford will present all 15 of the 2015 Oscar-Nominated short films in three separate programs: Live Action, Animation and Documentary. Check out the programs to feel like a know-it-all while watching the 87th Academy Awards Feb. 22.

5. “Interstellar” This science-fiction film features major star power with director Christopher Nolan and actors Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, Mackenzie Foy and Matt Damon. The futuristic movie shows a crew of astronauts looking for a new home for the human race as the Earth dies. With dramatic scenes set in space and the rich colors of different planets, it should be experienced on a large screen.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...