Edge, Movies

5 must-see movies at Cosford this semester

In day-to-day life, students often get consumed by their small screens – smart phones, tablets and laptops. These hand-held devices make entertainment convenient when on the go, but for a larger-than-life experience, visit the university’s Cosford Cinema, where students can watch the latest films for free.

If students don’t have time to check out every screening, here are Edge’s five must-see screenings at the Cosford this semester.

1. “The Interview” This controversial comedy, starring Seth Rogen and James Franco, made international news when cyber-attacks and threats were made against Sony and any movie theater that screened the film. With people from all sides giving their opinions about Hollywood, free speech and consumer safety, many mainstream theaters cancelled its showing. Now UM students can see the film that sparked global media attention spanning political, celebrity and entertainment spheres.

2. “Kingsman: The Secret Service” Students will have a chance to view this action-filled spy movie at 8 p.m. Thursday – nearly three weeks before it hits theaters on Feb. 13. A sneak peek is the best way to watch an espionage film about the Secret Service.

3. “The Theory of Everything” This biopic about Stephen Hawking received four Golden Globe nominations and won two: Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama for Eddie Redmayne’s role as Hawking and Best Original Score. Students can check out this award-winning movie to experience the early life of physicist Stephen Hawking and his ambitious study of time.

4. “Oscar-Nominated Short Films” The Cosford will present all 15 of the 2015 Oscar-Nominated short films in three separate programs: Live Action, Animation and Documentary. Check out the programs to feel like a know-it-all while watching the 87th Academy Awards Feb. 22.

5. “Interstellar” This science-fiction film features major star power with director Christopher Nolan and actors Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Michael Caine, Mackenzie Foy and Matt Damon. The futuristic movie shows a crew of astronauts looking for a new home for the human race as the Earth dies. With dramatic scenes set in space and the rich colors of different planets, it should be experienced on a large screen.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

The singer, songwriter, actress, and entrepreneur will share insights and advice from her more than ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...