Campus Life, Edge

Frost student named winner in local Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions

​2015 Encouragement Award winners, left to right, soprano Ana Collado, baritone Richard Coleman, and soprano Allison Lonstein Photo Courtesy metauditionsopera.org

2015 Encouragement Award winners, left to right, soprano Ana Collado, baritone Richard Coleman, and soprano Allison Lonstein
Photo Courtesy metauditionsopera.org

Senior Ana Collado, a vocal performance major at the Frost School of Music, was named a 2015 Encouragement Award winner in the Florida District Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions Sunday.

“I was worried I would forget the words to my German aria, and I wished I could have had a couple more lessons to work on the high note at the end of my French aria,” said Collado. “But when I got onstage, I felt really excited to have the chance to sing for the panel, and I had a great time.”

The local National Council Auditions were held Saturday at the Trinity Preparatory Auditorium. The Florida District accepted 40 singers to perform in the auditions. Prizes included three winners’ prizes of $1,200 each and three encouragement awards of $300 each, awarded at the judges’ discretion.

“It’s always nerve-racking to sing for opera experts, but it was an important opportunity for me to practice performing under pressure,” Collado said. “I got to speak to the judges after they announced the winners. They gave me great feedback. They said I had a mature grandeur about me and that I gave a very genuine performance.”

The National Council Auditions Program was created to allow for young opera singers of varying experience levels to be heard by a representative of the Metropolitan Opera and to “assist those with the greatest potential in their development,” according to its website.

According to Collado, her next focus will be to prepare for her senior recital Feb. 7 in Clarke Recital Hall. She will also perform as Lauretta in the Frost Opera Theater’s production of “Gianni Schicchi” Feb. 28 in Gusman Concert Hall.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A unique exchange program brought 10 high school students from Botswana to South Florida and the Uni ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center offers a great place to exercise; but if you can’t make ...

The Miami Climate Symposium 2020: Predicting and Living with Extremes, a three-day event hosted by t ...

A continuation of the “What Matters to U” speaker series, the former Ohio governor will speak to stu ...

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.