Basketball, Sports

Miami women’s basketball falls for first time in ACC play

Michelle Woods shoots over a defender during Sunday afternoon's 68-53 loss to Duke

Michelle Woods shoots over a defender during Sunday afternoon’s 68-53 loss to Duke. // Courtesy HurricaneSports

DURHAM, NC — Up until Sunday, the Miami women’s basketball team had won six in a row, and 12 of 13. They suffered just their second loss in 30 days, as No. 14 Duke utilized its height and interior defense en route to a 68-53 win over Miami Sunday afternoon in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Elisabeth Williams had 24 points, and Azura Stevens added 20 for the Blue Devils (13-5, 4-1 ACC), who shot a phenomenal 54.5 percent from the field for the game, many on shots around the basket.

Miami (14-4, 4-1) was led be Necole Sterling, who buried a career-high five three-pointers, but fell victim to shooting woes everywhere else.

Adrienne Motley, coming off espnW National Player of the Week honors, scored just eight points on 3-16 shooting, as the Canes finished just 18-69 (26.1 percent) from the field for the game.

“We took too many threes, and that’s a credit to Duke,” said Coach Meier after the game. “I think they invited us into a trap, which we walked right into with both feet.”

The Canes shot 37 threes in the game, converting on eight, a 21.6 percent clip. Five of those threes were from Sterling – the rest of the team was 3-26.

Jass Williams saw herself in early foul trouble, tallying two fouls in the first five minutes, and had to sit the rest of the half. It certainly did not help in the game plan against Williams and Stevens, who had any shot in the paint they wanted seemingly at will.

“Obviously we couldn’t combat it much, and the ones who could combat it were in a little foul trouble. So that made it difficult. Basically it was size versus speed, and I told my team speed can win the game if we play fast and we pressure, but we didn’t really bring the pressure,” Meier said. “We were hesitant; we backed up a little bit. So size won today.”

To that point, Duke out-rebounded Miami 47-33.

Miami will have an opportunity to rebound quickly, hosting Virginia on Wednesday night, before heading to Louisville next weekend for a matchup with the No. 4 Cardinals.

AJ Ricketts

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...