Art, Edge

Beaux Arts Festival offers colorful art displays, live music

What began as a “Clothesline Sale” more than 60 years ago, where artists would hang their work on clotheslines outside the Lowe Art Museum, has grown into the Beaux Arts Festival, Miami’s oldest juried art show.

Since Thursday, the university has been preparing for the 64th annual festival, blocking off Stanford Drive and spray painting tent numbers onto the grass. Now, hundreds of white tents line the path along Merrick Drive.

“We have a variety of artists, compared to previous years,” said junior Andrea Brook, a student assistant at the Lowe Art Museum. “There’s more modern sculptures and paintings, a lot of really interesting photographs. We have a really wide range of expressionism to modernism to contemporary to classic pieces, so there’s something for everyone here, which is really cool.”

The event is free and open to the public, and students have a front-row seat to the colorful displays, multiple art mediums, live music and food vendors that will inhabit the festival throughout the weekend.

“It’s more cultured, and nice to broaden your horizons. You wouldn’t know if you like art until you could do this,” said senior Camille Eloi. “It’s not even a hassle, it’s literally in students’ backyard. There is little to no excuses why you shouldn’t just walk down and see it.”

The event will feature 220 local and visiting artists, up to 150 works from Miami-Dade middle and high school students, live music and free art activities for children. The festival will take place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the University of Miami along Stanford Drive and in the Eaton parking lot. Admission and parking are free.

“Another thing that I love about this is that we feature the student art work of middle school and high school students, which is a pretty great way to get the community to be aware,” Brooke said. “It’s probably my favorite part of this whole festival, checking out the kids’ art and seeing the future of art.”

This annual event attracts thousands and will offer a variety of art mediums for many budgets. It is hosted as a fundraiser by Beaux Arts, a partner of the Lowe for 63 years and its founding support group. According to freshman David Breyer, a student assistant at the Lowe, more than 900 people visited the museum on Saturday, a dramatic increase from the 20-30 visitors he said attend on a regular day.

In November, Beaux Arts donated $1.5 million to the museum to create a Beaux Arts Director and a Chief Curator position, as well as support programming and community outreach, according to an article in The Miami Hurricane. Jill Deupi, who was named director of the Lowe in June, now holds that endowed position.

IF YOU GO

What: Beaux Arts Festival

WHERE: Stanford Drive and Eaton Parking Lot

WHEN: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

Admission and parking are free.

For more information, visit beauxartsmiami.org.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...