Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes cage the Clemson Tigers in 79-42 win

Sophomore Adrienne Motley faces a Clemson defender during Thursday night's women's basketball game held at the BUC. The Canes defeated the Tigers 79-42. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Sophomore Adrienne Motley faces a Clemson defender during Thursday night’s women’s basketball game held at the BUC. The Canes defeated the Tigers 79-42. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The Miami Hurricanes women’s basketball team caged the Clemson Tigers 79-42 at the BankUnited Center Thursday night.

Great team defense gave the Lady Canes the edge over the Lady Tigers in a decisive ACC win. Giving up only 42 points, the Lady Canes tied for their second best defensive performance of the season.

The team was led by senior forward Necole Sterling, who contributed 17 points. However, the big story of the night is defense.

After trailing by 4 early in the game, the Lady Canes locked in on defense. With 8:45 left in the first half, Clemson scored what would be their last field goal of the half. The scoring drought continued over five minutes into the second half as the Lady Canes built up a 30-plus point lead.

Clemson’s star guard, Nikki Dixon, had just 10 points on 3-for-12 shooting. Clemson, as a team, shot just 33 percent from the field. The stifling defense of the Lady Canes forced the Lady Tigers to turn the ball over 17 times.

The defensive pressure also created plenty of easy buckets for the Lady Canes. With 25 points off of turnovers, the Miami offensive was rolling. This win marked the fifth time this season the Lady Canes put more than 75 points on the scoreboard.

Sophomore Adrienne Motley continued her hot streak with 15 points on 5-for-8 shooting. She has now scored in the double digits in 16 of the Lady Canes’ 17 games this season.

With 3:28 remaining in the game, Jassany Williams grabbed her tenth rebound. She also scored 10 points, for her second double-double of the season. 

“If you don’t love this team yet, you’re missing something,” head coach Katie Meier said after the game. “Defense means everything. Defense is fun.”

Meier also joked about Sterling’s improved defense. Sterling attributed her improvement to conditioning and working hard in the off-season.

Great teamwork is another reason why the Lady Canes have the best defense in the ACC, allowing just 55.3 points per game.

“This is the most fun I’ve ever had on any team,” Sterling said. “It’s a legit team. It’s not just one person.” 

Up next, the Lady Canes travel to Durham, North Carolina to take on the No. 16-ranked Duke Blue Devils.

When asked about playing at her alma mater, Meier said, “The fact that it’s my alma mater means nothing to me. It’s another ACC game.”

Riding a six-game win streak, the Lady Canes hope to stay atop the ACC.

Matthew Ishahak

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ high-profile quarterback competition just got super spicy. Tate Martell, the 2 ...

Lots of Hurricanes nuggets on the first day of spring practice: ▪ The UM offense officially entered ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...

Going a perfect 5-0 in doubles action, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias collected Miami ...