Basketball, Sports

Miami to match-up against Duke

The Miami Men’s Basketball team started off their season strong. With a convincing win over ranked Florida, the team jumped out to the earliest they have ever been ranked in a season. With a few losses, including a hard-fought overtime bout with third-ranked Virginia, the Canes have fallen from the rankings.

The Canes look to rebound in a key match up against No. 4 Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium Tuesday night. This will be Miami’s first ACC road game of the season.

Miami is 2-2 against Duke since Coach Jim Larrañaga took over in the 2011-12 season. Overall, the Canes are 4-17 in the all-time against Duke. The match up goes all the way back to the 1962-63 season.

This season, Duke is 14-1 with a 87-75 loss to North Carolina State in their previous game on Sunday. Miami is a stout 11-4 with their last loss against Virginia on Jan. 3.

Solid play from redshirt junior guard Angel Rodriguez will be essential if the ‘Canes hope to upset another opponent.

In the Canes’ two games against Top 10 ranked teams, No. 3 Virginia and No. 8/7 Florida, Rodriguez averaged 24.5 points and 5.0 assists.

At Florida, he scored 22 of his 24 points in the last nine minutes and drained five three-point shots in the second half, leading the Canes to victory. He scored 17 points in the second half against the Cavaliers. Rodriguez made three important free throws with 0.9 seconds left in regulation sending the game to overtime.

Since joining the ACC, Miami is 3-7 in ACC road openers. Last season’s ACC road opener ended in a loss to No. 2 Syracuse by only five points.

The Canes have a tough road to home in the upcoming games. After Duke, Miami will face No. 12 Notre Dame Saturday. The Canes will face North Carolina State on Jan. 22, and then Syracuse on Jan. 24.

You can watch the game at 9 PM Eastern on ESPN2 – WVUM 90.5 FM will also have live streaming coverage.

Courtney Fiorini

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...