Basketball, Sports

Miami to match-up against Duke

The Miami Men’s Basketball team started off their season strong. With a convincing win over ranked Florida, the team jumped out to the earliest they have ever been ranked in a season. With a few losses, including a hard-fought overtime bout with third-ranked Virginia, the Canes have fallen from the rankings.

The Canes look to rebound in a key match up against No. 4 Duke at Cameron Indoor Stadium Tuesday night. This will be Miami’s first ACC road game of the season.

Miami is 2-2 against Duke since Coach Jim Larrañaga took over in the 2011-12 season. Overall, the Canes are 4-17 in the all-time against Duke. The match up goes all the way back to the 1962-63 season.

This season, Duke is 14-1 with a 87-75 loss to North Carolina State in their previous game on Sunday. Miami is a stout 11-4 with their last loss against Virginia on Jan. 3.

Solid play from redshirt junior guard Angel Rodriguez will be essential if the ‘Canes hope to upset another opponent.

In the Canes’ two games against Top 10 ranked teams, No. 3 Virginia and No. 8/7 Florida, Rodriguez averaged 24.5 points and 5.0 assists.

At Florida, he scored 22 of his 24 points in the last nine minutes and drained five three-point shots in the second half, leading the Canes to victory. He scored 17 points in the second half against the Cavaliers. Rodriguez made three important free throws with 0.9 seconds left in regulation sending the game to overtime.

Since joining the ACC, Miami is 3-7 in ACC road openers. Last season’s ACC road opener ended in a loss to No. 2 Syracuse by only five points.

The Canes have a tough road to home in the upcoming games. After Duke, Miami will face No. 12 Notre Dame Saturday. The Canes will face North Carolina State on Jan. 22, and then Syracuse on Jan. 24.

You can watch the game at 9 PM Eastern on ESPN2 – WVUM 90.5 FM will also have live streaming coverage.

Courtney Fiorini

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...