Campus Life, News

Memorial, candlelight vigil to be held in honor of exchange student

A memorial for Frederik Westerberg, an exchange student who passed away Dec. 17, will be held at 7 p.m. Monday at Pearson Residential College in Room 139. Following the event, there will be a candlelight vigil at Stanford Residential College.

SEE ALSO: Exchange student passes away, cause of death uncertain

Westerberg, an exchange student from the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, studied molecular biology for one semester at the University of Miami. He lived on Pearson’s seventh floor.

According to Jennifer Rau, assistant to the vice president for student affairs, a police investigation confirmed that Westerberg took his own life.

Speakers at the memorial will include Monsignor Michael Carruthers, who conducted a special mass for the family the Sunday before Christmas at Saint Augustine Church, and Westerberg’s mother, Charlotte Rorth.

In addition, Westerberg’s resident assistant Danny New and Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely will say a few words.

President Donna E. Shalala sent an email to the university community the day after his death, stating that Student Affairs staff has been working to offer support to Westerberg’s friends and family. Counselors will be available during and after the memorial.

Sherman Hewitt

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...