Campus Life, News

Memorial, candlelight vigil to be held in honor of exchange student

A memorial for Frederik Westerberg, an exchange student who passed away Dec. 17, will be held at 7 p.m. Monday at Pearson Residential College in Room 139. Following the event, there will be a candlelight vigil at Stanford Residential College.

SEE ALSO: Exchange student passes away, cause of death uncertain

Westerberg, an exchange student from the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, studied molecular biology for one semester at the University of Miami. He lived on Pearson’s seventh floor.

According to Jennifer Rau, assistant to the vice president for student affairs, a police investigation confirmed that Westerberg took his own life.

Speakers at the memorial will include Monsignor Michael Carruthers, who conducted a special mass for the family the Sunday before Christmas at Saint Augustine Church, and Westerberg’s mother, Charlotte Rorth.

In addition, Westerberg’s resident assistant Danny New and Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely will say a few words.

President Donna E. Shalala sent an email to the university community the day after his death, stating that Student Affairs staff has been working to offer support to Westerberg’s friends and family. Counselors will be available during and after the memorial.

Sherman Hewitt

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...