Campus Life, News

Memorial, candlelight vigil to be held in honor of exchange student

A memorial for Frederik Westerberg, an exchange student who passed away Dec. 17, will be held at 7 p.m. Monday at Pearson Residential College in Room 139. Following the event, there will be a candlelight vigil at Stanford Residential College.

SEE ALSO: Exchange student passes away, cause of death uncertain

Westerberg, an exchange student from the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, studied molecular biology for one semester at the University of Miami. He lived on Pearson’s seventh floor.

According to Jennifer Rau, assistant to the vice president for student affairs, a police investigation confirmed that Westerberg took his own life.

Speakers at the memorial will include Monsignor Michael Carruthers, who conducted a special mass for the family the Sunday before Christmas at Saint Augustine Church, and Westerberg’s mother, Charlotte Rorth.

In addition, Westerberg’s resident assistant Danny New and Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely will say a few words.

President Donna E. Shalala sent an email to the university community the day after his death, stating that Student Affairs staff has been working to offer support to Westerberg’s friends and family. Counselors will be available during and after the memorial.

Sherman Hewitt

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...