Edge, Movies, Reviews

‘The Gambler’ tells worthwhile story of lust, self-destruction

Mark Wahlberg goes ‘all in’ in his latest high-stakes drama “The Gambler.”

Aptly named, the film takes a unique perspective on both self-destruction and the lust for ultimate success.

The movie tells the tale of a man going through a seven-day turning point in life. Jim Bennett (Wahlberg) is a nihilistic college professor who moonlights as a heavy gambler. Turning his back on his wealthy family and their lifestyle, Jim returns to his mother (Jessica Lange) to ask her to pay off his large debts. After pitting his creditors against each other, Jim must find a way to pay back important people soon, even though his pockets are empty.

Jim’s habit of high-stakes gambling seems to have no set goal in terms of money. This behavior gives us a glimpse into Jim’s character, and it seems as though Wahlberg was made for the role. A straight shooter and no less, Jim faces gangsters and loan sharks with nerves of steel. Sharp rhetoric and a true “all or nothing” attitude towards almost everything make for a great combination in a character, and Wahlberg truly embodies that in this film.

In an interview with The Miami Hurricane, director Rupert Wyatt exposed the character of Jim and the way Wahlberg approached the lead role.

“Jim is brutally honest, says things we can’t, and that’s why he’s in trouble,” Wyatt said.

When asked about directing Wahlberg – who just recently received his high school diploma – in the scenes where he is a college professor, Wyatt smiled.

“Practically, we give actors the framework and general idea of a role, and that’s it. Especially with actors like these,” he said. “Wahlberg prepped by sitting in some college classes in L.A. We didn’t want him to come off as too academic. Mark loved that. Jim is a gambler first, a professor second.”

Thanks to William Monahan, screenwriter of the acclaimed “The Departed,” dialogue stands out in this adaptation of the 1974 original film of the same title. This unique script caught the interest of other big names, including John Goodman. Great back and forth dialogue between Jim and loan shark Frank (Goodman) will make this an instant classic.

“I’ve always liked Mark Wahlberg,” Goodman said. “He’s really interesting to watch, and I really liked the dialogue in the script. I thought it was great and it’s an interesting, compelling story about compulsion.”

When discussing shady financial matters with gangsters, maintaining sharp dialogue and fearless honesty do not come naturally. Audiences can realize how unrealistic or embellished a situation is on-screen with these types of stories. They can especially spot unrealistic reactions, which seemed to occur at more than one point in the movie.

Spoilers aside, Jim’s personality is manifested spot-on with Wahlberg’s attitude and dramatic flexibility. This made the movie of a man’s journey one worth seeing and learning from.

Although it might be somewhat unclear what Jim exactly wanted from his high-stakes gambling at first, the method in which he goes about trying to solve his debt problems is what he, and the movie as a whole, is about: an all or nothing view of life, love and success.

Marwan Alenezi

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...