Football, Sports

Hurricanes RB Duke Johnson to forgo senior year for NFL draft

Sophomore Duke Johnson solidified his position as an offensive star during Saturday’s game against Arkansas State. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Junior Duke Johnson (No. 8) solidified his position as an offensive star during a 2014 game against Arkansas State. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Surrounded by a whirlwind of rumors and speculation, Miami Hurricanes junior running back Duke Johnson announced Sunday that he would forgo senior year at the University of Miami to enter the 2015 NFL draft.

The Palm Beach Post first reported Saturday that Johnson’s mother, Cassandra Mitchell, told the newspaper that her son would turn pro. These reports were left unconfirmed by Johnson until the press conference held Sunday at the Schwartz Center in Coral Gables, Fla.

The NFL draft begins April 30, 2015. Johnson is expected to be selected between the first and third rounds, according to draft experts.

Johnson totaled 26 touchdowns and 3,519 rushing yards during his Canes career. He also has the ACC’s 2014 Brian Piccolo Award under his belt, among his many accomplishments at the U. The award recognizes the “most courageous” football player in the ACC.

This season, Johnson battled back from a 2013 injury that put an end to his successful sophomore season. During a game against Florida State, he fractured his fibula and dislocated an ankle in the fourth quarter. That year, he ran for 920 yards in the eight games he started.

During 2014, Johnson bounced back and was ranked among the nation’s top rushing leaders throughout the season.

Hokies linebacker Derek Di Nardo (41) reaches to stop Duke Johnson (8) but falls short. Photo Courtesy Kevin Dickel // Collegiate Times

Hokies linebacker Derek Di Nardo (41) reaches to stop Hurricanes running back Duke Johnson (8) but falls short. Photo Courtesy Kevin Dickel // Collegiate Times

Johnson was recognized as the ACC Offensive Back of the Week on Oct. 27. That week, he rushed for a career-high 249 yards on 29 carries and led the Canes to a 30-6 victory over Virginia Tech.

With those numbers, Johnson became the first Miami running back since Willis McGahee in 2002 to surpass 200 rushing yards in a game, and only the fourth player in school history to do so.

Johnson finished the regular season schedule second in the ACC, with 1,520 yards in 12 games. He also made the University of Miami’s all-time rushing list.

Including Saturday’s performance at the Duck Commander Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La., Johnson has tallied a total of 1,652 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns this season. Johnson was the top rusher in the 24-21 bowl game loss against South Carolina, with 24 carries for 132 yards.

Late in the fourth quarter Saturday, Johnson needed assistance on the field and appeared to have an injury to his right leg. He did not return to the game but remained on the sideline.

Courtney Fiorini

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...