Football, Sports

Canes end 2014 season with loss to Gamecocks in bowl game

Despite valiant fourth quarter efforts, the Miami Hurricanes came up short against the South Carolina Gamecocks (7-6) in the Duck Commander Independence Bowl in Shreveport, La. The Canes lost 24-21.

Miami will finish the 2014 season with a 6-7 record. The loud crowd of more than 38,000 stood covered in plastic ponchos in the rain. It was a wet, windy and raw 53 degrees that seemed to have an effect on a few field goal attempts.

From the beginning it was clear that Duke Johnson would be Brad Kaaya’s favorite target. He was the key, and South Carolina knew it.

The Canes started out fast with an easy stop against the Gamecocks in the first drive. Kaaya and Johnson drove down the field twice, only to come up short with two field goals: one in the first quarter and one in the second.

South Carolina came close in the first quarter, driving down to field goal range with 3:59 to go. Sophomore kicker Elliot Fry went wide right on a 40-yard attempt, leaving the score 3-0 Miami.

The Gamecocks made the required adjustments and came out in the second quarter with 17 unanswered points.

In the second half, the Canes made their comeback. The drive started on their own 7-yard line with 7:06 to go in the third quarter. A beautiful pass from Kaaya to Malcolm Lewis brought the Canes to South Carolina’s 9-yard line. A Gus Edwards touchdown, followed by a successful 2-point conversion, brought the Canes within three points of the Gamecocks, 17-14 with 1:43 left in the third quarter.

Late in the fourth quarter, Johnson needed assistance on the field and appeared to have an injury to his right leg. He didn’t return to the game but remained on the sideline.

With 4:13 left, the Gamecocks had a 24-14 lead over the Canes. Nothing seemed impossible, though, when Kaaya connected with Dorsett for a touchdown – bringing the score back to a mere three points’ difference, at 24-21 with 2:16 left in the game.

The Gamecocks maintained control of the ball and let the time run out on the Hurricanes’ season. South Carolina quarterback Dylan Thompson threw for 294 yards and two touchdowns. Pharoh Cooper was a hot target for Thompson. He caught nine passes for 170 yards.

Kaaya finished up his freshman year throwing for 236 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Johnson was the top rusher in the game, with 24 carries for 132 yards. Miami led the game with first downs and possession time, but it wasn’t enough to overtake South Carolina.

The Miami Hurricanes have lost the past five bowl games they have played in. Their last bowl win came in 2006 against Nevada in the MPC Computers Bowl, 21-20.

The final step for the season will be Johnson’s decision to either stay in Miami or enter the 2015 NFL Draft. He is expected to make an announcement Sunday.

Featured photo courtesy HurricaneSports.

Courtney Fiorini

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...