Campus Life, News

Exchange student passes away, cause of death uncertain

Frederik Westerberg, an exchange student from Denmark, passed away Wednesday night, according to an email message President Donna E. Shalala sent the university Thursday afternoon.

According to the email, Westerberg was studying molecular biology for one semester at the University of Miami. He lived in Pearson Residential College and came from the University of Copenhagen.

“He had hopes of one day working in the biotech field and dreamed of making the world a better place through science and medicine,” Shalala wrote.

The cause of death is not known.

Shalala’s email states that the Student Affairs staff is providing support to Westerberg’s family and friends. The Counseling Center and chaplains will be available when students return for the spring semester in January.

“We are always here to support students and will be supporting the family as well in the days ahead,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs.

Student Resources:

Counseling Center – 305-284-5511

Dean of Students Office – 305-284-5353

Vice President for Student Affairs Office – 305-284-4922

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...