Campus Life, News

Exchange student passes away, cause of death uncertain

Frederik Westerberg, an exchange student from Denmark, passed away Wednesday night, according to an email message President Donna E. Shalala sent the university Thursday afternoon.

According to the email, Westerberg was studying molecular biology for one semester at the University of Miami. He lived in Pearson Residential College and came from the University of Copenhagen.

“He had hopes of one day working in the biotech field and dreamed of making the world a better place through science and medicine,” Shalala wrote.

The cause of death is not known.

Shalala’s email states that the Student Affairs staff is providing support to Westerberg’s family and friends. The Counseling Center and chaplains will be available when students return for the spring semester in January.

“We are always here to support students and will be supporting the family as well in the days ahead,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs.

Student Resources:

Counseling Center – 305-284-5511

Dean of Students Office – 305-284-5353

Vice President for Student Affairs Office – 305-284-4922

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...