Campus Life, News

Exchange student passes away, cause of death uncertain

Frederik Westerberg, an exchange student from Denmark, passed away Wednesday night, according to an email message President Donna E. Shalala sent the university Thursday afternoon.

According to the email, Westerberg was studying molecular biology for one semester at the University of Miami. He lived in Pearson Residential College and came from the University of Copenhagen.

“He had hopes of one day working in the biotech field and dreamed of making the world a better place through science and medicine,” Shalala wrote.

The cause of death is not known.

Shalala’s email states that the Student Affairs staff is providing support to Westerberg’s family and friends. The Counseling Center and chaplains will be available when students return for the spring semester in January.

“We are always here to support students and will be supporting the family as well in the days ahead,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs.

Student Resources:

Counseling Center – 305-284-5511

Dean of Students Office – 305-284-5353

Vice President for Student Affairs Office – 305-284-4922

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...