Blogs, UBuzz

Shalala: ‘Racism is everyone’s problem’

Following a “study-in” demonstration held at Richter Library Wednesday during finals week, UM President Donna E. Shalala sent out a university-wide Dialogue email about racism Friday morning.

In her email to the UM community, Shalala wrote the following:

“Racism is everyone’s problem. Right now, as a nation and as a campus community, we must face this painful and divisive issue with openness, courage, and deep respect for our differences. We want to get this right. That means there’s no room for hate or intolerance.”

Wednesday’s demonstration was held in response to racist comments that were posted on social media after the Black Lives Matter rally held on campus Dec. 3.

SEE ALSO: Black Lives Matter protest sparks conversation about on-campus racism

Shalala attended the “study-in” demonstration herself to show her support. She said she believes that Black lives matter, agrees with the student protesters, and wants to show them that the university is supportive.

For a full report on the event from UMTV, check out Nick Swyter’s video below.

Study-In Demonstration at Richter Library from UMTV School of Communication on Vimeo.

Shalala concluded her email with the following message:

“My wish to you in this precious holiday season is to cultivate an open mind and heart, to nurture respect and tolerance, and to live in harmony with and consideration of others.”

The full Dialogue email can be seen below.

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 2.25.35 PM

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

With remarks by entrepreneur and alumnus Rony Abovitz, a recent event at the Kislak Center showcased ...

A UM student retention task force is working to ensure that all first-year students feel at home. ...

A new School of Nursing and Health Studies’ initiative delivers critical health care for Miami’s hom ...

As part of the Leadership UMiami program, students heard from community leaders who spend their care ...

Miller School of Medicine doctors are providing assistance on Great Abaco Island, where survivors of ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.