Blogs, UBuzz

Shalala: ‘Racism is everyone’s problem’

Following a “study-in” demonstration held at Richter Library Wednesday during finals week, UM President Donna E. Shalala sent out a university-wide Dialogue email about racism Friday morning.

In her email to the UM community, Shalala wrote the following:

“Racism is everyone’s problem. Right now, as a nation and as a campus community, we must face this painful and divisive issue with openness, courage, and deep respect for our differences. We want to get this right. That means there’s no room for hate or intolerance.”

Wednesday’s demonstration was held in response to racist comments that were posted on social media after the Black Lives Matter rally held on campus Dec. 3.

SEE ALSO: Black Lives Matter protest sparks conversation about on-campus racism

Shalala attended the “study-in” demonstration herself to show her support. She said she believes that Black lives matter, agrees with the student protesters, and wants to show them that the university is supportive.

For a full report on the event from UMTV, check out Nick Swyter’s video below.

Study-In Demonstration at Richter Library from UMTV School of Communication on Vimeo.

Shalala concluded her email with the following message:

“My wish to you in this precious holiday season is to cultivate an open mind and heart, to nurture respect and tolerance, and to live in harmony with and consideration of others.”

The full Dialogue email can be seen below.

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 2.25.35 PM

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...