Blogs, UBuzz

Shalala: ‘Racism is everyone’s problem’

Following a “study-in” demonstration held at Richter Library Wednesday during finals week, UM President Donna E. Shalala sent out a university-wide Dialogue email about racism Friday morning.

In her email to the UM community, Shalala wrote the following:

“Racism is everyone’s problem. Right now, as a nation and as a campus community, we must face this painful and divisive issue with openness, courage, and deep respect for our differences. We want to get this right. That means there’s no room for hate or intolerance.”

Wednesday’s demonstration was held in response to racist comments that were posted on social media after the Black Lives Matter rally held on campus Dec. 3.

SEE ALSO: Black Lives Matter protest sparks conversation about on-campus racism

Shalala attended the “study-in” demonstration herself to show her support. She said she believes that Black lives matter, agrees with the student protesters, and wants to show them that the university is supportive.

For a full report on the event from UMTV, check out Nick Swyter’s video below.

Study-In Demonstration at Richter Library from UMTV School of Communication on Vimeo.

Shalala concluded her email with the following message:

“My wish to you in this precious holiday season is to cultivate an open mind and heart, to nurture respect and tolerance, and to live in harmony with and consideration of others.”

The full Dialogue email can be seen below.

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 2.25.35 PM

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...