Blogs, UBuzz

Shalala: ‘Racism is everyone’s problem’

Following a “study-in” demonstration held at Richter Library Wednesday during finals week, UM President Donna E. Shalala sent out a university-wide Dialogue email about racism Friday morning.

In her email to the UM community, Shalala wrote the following:

“Racism is everyone’s problem. Right now, as a nation and as a campus community, we must face this painful and divisive issue with openness, courage, and deep respect for our differences. We want to get this right. That means there’s no room for hate or intolerance.”

Wednesday’s demonstration was held in response to racist comments that were posted on social media after the Black Lives Matter rally held on campus Dec. 3.

SEE ALSO: Black Lives Matter protest sparks conversation about on-campus racism

Shalala attended the “study-in” demonstration herself to show her support. She said she believes that Black lives matter, agrees with the student protesters, and wants to show them that the university is supportive.

For a full report on the event from UMTV, check out Nick Swyter’s video below.

Study-In Demonstration at Richter Library from UMTV School of Communication on Vimeo.

Shalala concluded her email with the following message:

“My wish to you in this precious holiday season is to cultivate an open mind and heart, to nurture respect and tolerance, and to live in harmony with and consideration of others.”

The full Dialogue email can be seen below.

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 2.25.35 PM

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...