Community, Edge, Travel

How to travel through Miami on a budget

To freshman Sergio Castro-Rachmacy, nothing is more frustrating than the sound of the Metrorail screeching away as he ascends the concrete steps onto the platform a few seconds too late. He may have to wait up to 35 minutes until the metro’s next departure, and his evening plans are now unfortunately delayed.

Without a car, getting around Miami can be a bit of a hassle. There are many alternative modes of transportation to choose from, and they all come with their unique advantages and pitfalls. Which way of getting around is best? According to Castro-Rachmacy, it all depends on the individual’s priorities.

“Most college students are on a budget,” he said. “I try and be efficient and travel in the most practical way. The metro is cheap, and if I’m going to be traveling around all day, the $5.25 day pass is totally worth it.”

The Metrorail’s regular fare is $2.25 and it is accessible right across from the University of Miami’s campus, with stops at popular student destinations like Brickell, Coconut Grove, South Miami and Dadeland Mall.

Using the metro can be an easy, inexpensive way to get around, but not always the most luxurious.

“Sometimes it’s crowded and dirty and a few times people have tried to sell me things. Its not that bad, but not always as comfortable as other means of getting around,” Rachmacy said.

For Freshman John Lee, using the metro is usually not his top choice. He makes use of his subscription to ZipCar, where he can rent a vehicle located right in the Hecht parking lot.

“Using my ZipCar, I can put groceries in the trunk and not have to lug stuff around everywhere. I like using the cars for group outings because then I can split the rent with other people,” he said.

According to Lee, ZipCars are great because students can travel comfortably and avoid the expense and hassle of gas, insurance, and maintenance, which are included in the renting fee.

However, he notes there are several negatives.

“Sometimes the ZipCars are reserved by other people during the period of time I want to use it. Also, you have to pay by the hour, so it can get expensive if you want to go someplace and spend the day. Honestly some situations would be better to use Uber because it’s stressful to drive down here in Miami and Coral Gables.”

For this reason, among others, car services like Uber have become popular options with students on campus. You can call for and pay for the service right through the app on your phone and the Uber app alerts you to how long you will have to wait.

However, if you are not going too far, utilizing the school’s free Hurry’Canes shuttle or Ibis Ride might be the more economical choice.

Using the University of Miami App, you can check to see what times the shuttle busses are going to arrive. However, when using any form of public transportation, wait times can still be longer then expected. The Hurry’Canes Shuttles are a very convenient, safe way to get around, but are not guaranteed to be going to your destination at the desired time, so plan ahead!

Where your priorities for travel lie – cost, comfort, convenience – will affect your decision of how to get around. But before you end up late and frustrated to wherever you want to go, think about your many options and make an informed decision that’s best for you.

Jamie Herman

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...