Football, Sports

Sports Briefs 12/8

Football

The Hurricanes Football team was selected for the Duck Commander Independence Bowl announced Sunday. Miami will face South Carolina at 3:30 p.m. Dec. 27 in Shreveport, Louisiana. The Independence Bowl has been played for 38 years. Both the Canes and the Gamecocks finished the season 6-6, making them bowl eligible. The game will be broadcast on ABC.

For more on the Independence Bowl and the new college football playoffs, read Alex Green’s story: Bowl games to implement system with qualified candidiates.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...