Semester’s end ushers in new beginnings

If we always live our lives in the moment, the past becomes just a large, undefined mass. As the semester winds down, it’s worth taking a moment to reflect on its defining events and characteristics, so that it won’t just blend in with all the others.

It’s easy to see this semester as the end of an era. Now that President Donna E. Shalala is stepping down, the next few months will orient themselves toward the selection of her successor.

Whichever qualified individual the Presidential Search Committee will no doubt appoint, he or she will never be Shalala – the character of the University of Miami is bound to shift somehow.

But nothing ever ends without prompting a new beginning. Even now, the campus landscape is in flux and will continue to change, like a caterpillar hidden in a cocoon, when we leave for the holidays.

Already this semester, the old wooden buildings behind the Knight Physics Building, which once served as the school’s first administration center, house departments from the College of Arts and Sciences; now, in 2015, Frost Studios will be completed, providing physical support for the idea that the university will never stop striving to improve.

Indeed, UM’s ability to develop and adapt to the times was well proven this semester.

With its coordinated and professional response to the Ebola crisis, faculty and staff were able to educate the campus about the disease as well as to assuage its accompanying paranoia.

The coalition on sexual assault and the school’s recent Black Lives Matter demonstration reinforce the idea that UM has not hidden from pressing national issues, but rather stepped forward and engaged them.

The appointment of new leadership will ultimately not affect the qualities that define UM. Presidents come and go, and the campus landscape may shift, but these outward adaptations only aim to protect UM’s fundamental character from damage by enabling it to keep up with, rather than be dragged along by, the turning tides of time.

As we’ve seen this semester, that fundamental quality is the university’s commitment to participation in the national conversation.

Students, staff and faculty alike can rest assured that as we move into the next semester, we will continue to flex, grow and push boundaries, but always in dialogue, and never while sacrificing what is truly important.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...