Environment, News

Habitat developers to balance preservation with job creation

The University of Miami sold 88 acres of its south campus to a real estate developer, containing the pine rockland habitat, a rare Florida ecosystem. Maggie Urban-Waala // Contributing Photographer

In July, the University of Miami sold 88 acres of its endangered pine rockland habitat in the South Campus, located near Zoo Miami, to developer Ram Realty Services (Ram). Ram plans to use the land to develop an apartment complex and several retail stores, including a Wal-Mart superstore.

The sale has since faced opposition from environmentalists, who petitioned against the destruction of an ecosystem that exists only in South Florida, the Florida Keys and Cuba. According to Florida International University’s South Florida Terrestrial Ecosystem Lab, the diversity of the plants and animals in the pine rocklands are highly threatened by human activity.

In response to public opinion and the recent designation of two additional federally-endangered plants species in the land area, Ram intends to submit a habitat conservation plan to the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), along with its application for a special permit to “take” non-endangered species, according to an article published in the Miami New Times.

In a statement released in August, Ram announced that “[t]he [UFSWS] and Ram are working collaboratively to balance environmental preservation with job creation and economic development in South Miami-Dade.” However, many are skeptical that the conservation plan will accomplish enough to protect the delicate pine rockland ecosystem.

“It’s bunk,” said sophomore Zac Cosner, an environmental studies and biology major who is a member of the Tropical Audubon Society, a South Florida non-profit that is dedicated to environmental conservation and education. “First, pine rocklands need about 200 hectares to be truly healthy. Second, you need to burn them … I find it highly doubtful that a pine rockland situated right next to a Wal-Mart, an apartment complex, a hotel, and a water park is going to receive the fire treatment it needs to survive. Third, construction will likely disturb soil topography in a way that will very badly disrupt the system.”

UM fully acquired this tract of land in 1981 from former Naval Air Station property with the agreement that it would be used for educational purposes up until 2011. The South Campus was home to research projects and a primate research center.

“Once you build a Wal-Mart, that’s not a restorable property at that point,” said Matthew Schwartz, executive director of the South Florida Wildlands Association in an interview with the Miami New Times. However, Schwartz believes that it is not too late to turn around development plans and fully restore the property into a habitat preserve.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...