Basketball, Sports

Dynamic duo leads Canes women’s basketball to victory

Motley (left) and McGuire (right) // Courtesy HurricaneSports

Motley (left) and McGuire (right) // Courtesy HurricaneSports

The Hurricanes women’s basketball team took on Wisconsin (1-5) in an explosive offensive performance from two key players.

Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and senior guard Suriya McGuire led the team to a 66-54 win in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge Thursday night.

Head coach Katie Meier’s Canes improved to 5-2. This was the third game in a row in which Miami never trailed.

“It was a night where we had only two players whose offense was coming through – that was Ray [McGuire] and Motley,” Meier said afterward in the post-game press conference.

McGuire opened the game landing a three. The Canes went on an 11-0 run on Wisconsin.

“I just want to make an impact in the game and make sure we get the win, regardless if I have two points, 19 points … whatever it takes to get the win,” McGuire said.

McGuire was 7-of-16 and landed 2-of-4 three pointers. Her explosion early in the game helped put the Canes ahead and keep them ahead throughout the game.

Motley had 21 points for the game, seven rebounds and six assists. She grabbed three offensive rebounds that each turned into two points.

Motley and McGuire combined for more than 60 percent of Miami’s points in the game.

Miami was successful defensively throughout the game. The Canes forced 15 turnovers in Wisconsin’s 32 possessions, which led to 17 points for Miami. The Canes, however, had only three turnovers in the first half, leading to two points for Wisconsin. Ten of the 15 turnovers that the Canes forced resulted from steals.

The second half was similar. The Hurricanes forced 13 turnovers in the second half, leading to 11 points. Miami totaled 18 steals in the game.

Miami will take on Jacksonville at 4 p.m. Saturday at the BankUnited Center. It will be part of a doubleheader with the men’s basketball team, who will play University of Wisconsin-Green Bay at 2 p.m.

Courtney Fiorini

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...