Basketball, Sports

Dynamic duo leads Canes women’s basketball to victory

Motley (left) and McGuire (right) // Courtesy HurricaneSports

Motley (left) and McGuire (right) // Courtesy HurricaneSports

The Hurricanes women’s basketball team took on Wisconsin (1-5) in an explosive offensive performance from two key players.

Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and senior guard Suriya McGuire led the team to a 66-54 win in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge Thursday night.

Head coach Katie Meier’s Canes improved to 5-2. This was the third game in a row in which Miami never trailed.

“It was a night where we had only two players whose offense was coming through – that was Ray [McGuire] and Motley,” Meier said afterward in the post-game press conference.

McGuire opened the game landing a three. The Canes went on an 11-0 run on Wisconsin.

“I just want to make an impact in the game and make sure we get the win, regardless if I have two points, 19 points … whatever it takes to get the win,” McGuire said.

McGuire was 7-of-16 and landed 2-of-4 three pointers. Her explosion early in the game helped put the Canes ahead and keep them ahead throughout the game.

Motley had 21 points for the game, seven rebounds and six assists. She grabbed three offensive rebounds that each turned into two points.

Motley and McGuire combined for more than 60 percent of Miami’s points in the game.

Miami was successful defensively throughout the game. The Canes forced 15 turnovers in Wisconsin’s 32 possessions, which led to 17 points for Miami. The Canes, however, had only three turnovers in the first half, leading to two points for Wisconsin. Ten of the 15 turnovers that the Canes forced resulted from steals.

The second half was similar. The Hurricanes forced 13 turnovers in the second half, leading to 11 points. Miami totaled 18 steals in the game.

Miami will take on Jacksonville at 4 p.m. Saturday at the BankUnited Center. It will be part of a doubleheader with the men’s basketball team, who will play University of Wisconsin-Green Bay at 2 p.m.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...