Basketball, Sports

Dynamic duo leads Canes women’s basketball to victory

Motley (left) and McGuire (right) // Courtesy HurricaneSports

Motley (left) and McGuire (right) // Courtesy HurricaneSports

The Hurricanes women’s basketball team took on Wisconsin (1-5) in an explosive offensive performance from two key players.

Sophomore guard Adrienne Motley and senior guard Suriya McGuire led the team to a 66-54 win in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge Thursday night.

Head coach Katie Meier’s Canes improved to 5-2. This was the third game in a row in which Miami never trailed.

“It was a night where we had only two players whose offense was coming through – that was Ray [McGuire] and Motley,” Meier said afterward in the post-game press conference.

McGuire opened the game landing a three. The Canes went on an 11-0 run on Wisconsin.

“I just want to make an impact in the game and make sure we get the win, regardless if I have two points, 19 points … whatever it takes to get the win,” McGuire said.

McGuire was 7-of-16 and landed 2-of-4 three pointers. Her explosion early in the game helped put the Canes ahead and keep them ahead throughout the game.

Motley had 21 points for the game, seven rebounds and six assists. She grabbed three offensive rebounds that each turned into two points.

Motley and McGuire combined for more than 60 percent of Miami’s points in the game.

Miami was successful defensively throughout the game. The Canes forced 15 turnovers in Wisconsin’s 32 possessions, which led to 17 points for Miami. The Canes, however, had only three turnovers in the first half, leading to two points for Wisconsin. Ten of the 15 turnovers that the Canes forced resulted from steals.

The second half was similar. The Hurricanes forced 13 turnovers in the second half, leading to 11 points. Miami totaled 18 steals in the game.

Miami will take on Jacksonville at 4 p.m. Saturday at the BankUnited Center. It will be part of a doubleheader with the men’s basketball team, who will play University of Wisconsin-Green Bay at 2 p.m.

Courtney Fiorini

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...