Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball to open NCAA tournament in match against UCF

Next three rounds for the Canes in the NCAA Tournament.

Next three rounds for the Canes in the NCAA Tournament. // Graphic by Sarbani Ghosh

The Hurricanes volleyball team opens at the 2014 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Tournament against UCF Friday.

Miami finished the season 21-8 overall and 14-4 in the ACC, tied for third in the conference.

They are one of 64 teams in the tournament and will be one of four teams in the Gainesville part of the Ames Regional, joining No. 8 Florida, UCF and Alabama State.

The Canes will be led by this year’s ACC Player of the Year Savanah Leaf, First Team All-ACC selection Emani Sims and ACC Freshman of the Year Haley Templeton.

Miami has now earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year under head coach Jose “Keno” Gandara. They have earned a spot six consecutive years and seven times in program history.

Miami’s best postseason run occurred in 2002 when the Canes made it to the Sweet 16 before falling to Nebraska. Last season, they lost the first round match against Oregon in three sets.

The Canes will take on UCF at 4:30 p.m. Friday in the first round match. The winner will advance to play the winner of the match between No. 8 Florida and Alabama State.

For the full tournament bracket, visit ACC.com.

Courtney Fiorini

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...