Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball to open NCAA tournament in match against UCF

Next three rounds for the Canes in the NCAA Tournament.

Next three rounds for the Canes in the NCAA Tournament. // Graphic by Sarbani Ghosh

The Hurricanes volleyball team opens at the 2014 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Tournament against UCF Friday.

Miami finished the season 21-8 overall and 14-4 in the ACC, tied for third in the conference.

They are one of 64 teams in the tournament and will be one of four teams in the Gainesville part of the Ames Regional, joining No. 8 Florida, UCF and Alabama State.

The Canes will be led by this year’s ACC Player of the Year Savanah Leaf, First Team All-ACC selection Emani Sims and ACC Freshman of the Year Haley Templeton.

Miami has now earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year under head coach Jose “Keno” Gandara. They have earned a spot six consecutive years and seven times in program history.

Miami’s best postseason run occurred in 2002 when the Canes made it to the Sweet 16 before falling to Nebraska. Last season, they lost the first round match against Oregon in three sets.

The Canes will take on UCF at 4:30 p.m. Friday in the first round match. The winner will advance to play the winner of the match between No. 8 Florida and Alabama State.

For the full tournament bracket, visit ACC.com.

Courtney Fiorini

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...