Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball to open NCAA tournament in match against UCF

Next three rounds for the Canes in the NCAA Tournament.

Next three rounds for the Canes in the NCAA Tournament. // Graphic by Sarbani Ghosh

The Hurricanes volleyball team opens at the 2014 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Tournament against UCF Friday.

Miami finished the season 21-8 overall and 14-4 in the ACC, tied for third in the conference.

They are one of 64 teams in the tournament and will be one of four teams in the Gainesville part of the Ames Regional, joining No. 8 Florida, UCF and Alabama State.

The Canes will be led by this year’s ACC Player of the Year Savanah Leaf, First Team All-ACC selection Emani Sims and ACC Freshman of the Year Haley Templeton.

Miami has now earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year under head coach Jose “Keno” Gandara. They have earned a spot six consecutive years and seven times in program history.

Miami’s best postseason run occurred in 2002 when the Canes made it to the Sweet 16 before falling to Nebraska. Last season, they lost the first round match against Oregon in three sets.

The Canes will take on UCF at 4:30 p.m. Friday in the first round match. The winner will advance to play the winner of the match between No. 8 Florida and Alabama State.

For the full tournament bracket, visit ACC.com.

Courtney Fiorini

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...