Campus Life, News

Canes Consent encourages survivors to open up about sexual assault

Prof. Westaway speaks at Canes Consent event Thursday.

Photo by Isabella Cueto

Students from Professor Katharine Westaway’s women’s and gender studies class gathered in the Lower UC Lounge Thursday for Canes Consent, a sexual assault awareness event. The class organized the event after several students went to Westaway about their experiences being assaulted.

Adam Troy, health educator at the Student Health Center, spoke about the role of men in preventing sexual assault. Troy specifically emphasized how the vast majority of rapes are committed by a male acquaintance of the victim.

“It’s not the stranger jumping out of the bushes. It’s the person that you might meet in your class,” Troy said. “Sisters don’t look at their brothers as a person who might be a rapist, but it happens.”

Miro Falic was one of two males involved in planning Canes Consent. Falic explained how his point of view has shifted since he started taking the course in Women’s and Gender Studies.

“You view things differently. People don’t know [facts about sexual assault]… but as you explain it, people become more interested,” Falic said.

Organizers, clad in white ‘Canes Consent’ tank tops, helped educate students on available resources by inviting various organizations to set up booths at the event. NOW, Student Government, UPride, the Women’s Fund Miami, Yellow Rose Society and Canes Care for Canes were all present.

When creating the event, students wanted to make survivors feel comfortable enough to contact any of the services on campus by having them at Canes Consent, according to senior Divya [her full name was not included for privacy concerns].

“I was actually sexually assaulted,” she said. “I was at this event last year, and it helped me open up to Dr. Westaway and report it.”

Students in Westaway’s class are required to participate in organizing Canes Consent. Senior Martha Gonzalez, who is in the class, called the experience “eye-opening.”

“There are so many constructs that are accepted that you don’t realize and you just play into in your everyday life,” Gonzalez said.

The event featured a bracelet-making station, free food, T-shirts, a DJ and guest speakers.

Canes Consent aims to host events every semester to raise awareness about sexual assault.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...