Blogs, UBuzz

Black Lives Matter protest sparks conversation about on-campus racism

The Black Lives Matter rally held Wednesday has sparked an online conversation about racial issues on campus, involving the University of Miami’s Black student population, opponents of the protestors and even President Donna E. Shalala.

The demonstration included a ‘die-in,’ in which students dropped to the ground in unison to represent lives lost to police brutality, and a march around campus in protest of the grand jury decision not to charge Officer Darren Wilson for the shooting of Michael Brown.

SEE ALSO: Dramatic ‘Black Lives Matter’ demonstration gives voice to voiceless

During and after the event, racist comments were posted on the anonymous social media app Yik Yak and other online outlets. (See screenshots attached in the embedded Tweets below.)

Shalala sent a university-wide Dialogue email Friday in response to comments like these, saying that “all members of the community have the right to respond and share their thoughts and beliefs.”

“Respectful dialogue, even between opposing sides of the same issue, remains an expectation at the University of Miami,” Shalala added.

President Shalala's Dialogue email sent Friday.

President Shalala’s Dialogue email sent Friday.

Junior Rhyssa Beckford, who was a participant in the Black Lives Matter event, originally reached out to Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely about the issue Thursday, hoping for a university-wide email to be sent out that would discourage this behavior. 

President Shalala then responded to Beckford with her own email, expressing her support of the demonstration and “outrage” at the detractors. (Whitely was out of town.) Beckford posted a screenshot of Shalala’s email on Facebook.

Shalala's response. // Screenshot courtesy Beckford

Shalala’s response. // Screenshot courtesy Beckford via Facebook

Soon after the Dialogue email was sent Friday, Beckford expressed her dissatisfaction with the administration’s response on Facebook.

Rhyssa Beckford's response. // Screenshot courtesy Beckford via Facebook

Rhyssa Beckford’s Facebook post. // Screenshot courtesy Beckford via Facebook

Beckford also wrote that the email was “sugar coated” and “didn’t truly address intolerance” in a Facebook message to The Miami Hurricane.

Some students also posted anonymous reactions to the UMiami Secrets Facebook page, arguing that the protest was an ineffective way to go about asking for change and that “lives matter as a whole, not just black lives.” This also led to discussion online. The comments can be seen in the embedded posts.

While the topic has angered many, sophomore Andrea Vorlicek urged her peers on Facebook not to let the opinions of a few taint their perspectives of the whole.

Vorlicek, who also participated in the march, wrote that the Black population at UM should not focus on the comments on Yik Yak and other social media outlets. Instead, she hopes that her peers work to educate others who are not aware of the prejudices that exist, in order to create a better on-campus environment.

image1

Vorlicek’s Facebook post. // Screenshot courtesy Vorlicek via Facebook

Featured image courtesy The All-Nite Images via Flickr.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...