Basketball, Sports

Spirits run high for Canes after record audience attends game

Miami’s hot early season run continued Tuesday night against No. 24 Illinois, and the BankUnited Center (BUC) was packed to see it.

Spurred on by a school-record 2,003 students, the No. 15 Hurricanes improved to 8-0 on the season with a 70-61 win.

The student section, usually not filled for December games, was nearly packed an hour before game time, with students donning orange Santa hats and the giveaway of the game: tacky Christmas T-shirts. The 2,003 students broke the previous record by nearly 300 students – 1,734 turned out for the matchup with Florida State.

The increased number was made possible by the addition of student seating on the baseline opposite the original student section.

After the game, CanesAllAccess posted a video on YouTube of Coach Jim Larrañaga thanking the fans, which quickly received over 30,000 views. Optimism is high around Coral Gables – the No. 15 ranking is the highest Miami has ever been this early in the season.

“It definitely felt like a basketball school,” guard Sheldon McClellan said post-game, after notching 14 points in the victory. “It was a big boost for us.”

Miami hopes to carry the momentum and fan support into the weekend as the Canes take on Wisconsin-Green Bay.

The Phoenix is no team to overlook – it was the preseason favorite in the Horizon League and holds the top rating percentage index in the country, while Miami is third in that category.

And if Miami can keep winning, more records are sure to break come ACC play.

AJ Ricketts

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...