Campus Life, News

Sexual violence PSA calls for dialogue, responsibility

In response to recent events across college campuses – including our own – Silence the Silence, a public service announcement (PSA) on sexual violence, is scheduled to air Thursday at the Canes Consent event, an event dedicated to raising awareness about sexual violence.

The minute-long PSA asks students to challenge themselves to end the sexual violence epidemic in our nation. It calls for students to take personal responsibility by standing up against sexual violence to their friends and taking a vow not to participate in any act of sexual violence.

“It asks viewers to examine their own actions and how those actions can stop sexual assaults from happening,” said Nick Swyter, the director of the PSA. “It is my hope that this examination can steer viewers toward a dialogue that confronts the structural issues of this topic.”

Julie Earl, co-chair of Silence the Silence, said Student Government was asked on behalf of the President’s Campus Coalition on Sexual Violence Prevention and Education, created by President Donna Shalala in May, to produce the PSA as a launch for a long-term initiative to end to sexual violence on college campuses.

“Right now we don’t have a serious problem, but we want to be proactive so that if there is a problem we know what to do,” said Renee Perez, co-chair of Silence the Silence.

According to the University of Miami Police Department, police records do not have a significant number of reports of sexual violence, but it is unknown if this is an accurate description of the campus activity.

“As of now, on the last open report the numbers were in the single digits,” Earl said. “But you always have to ask yourself: Is it because no one’s reporting or is it because it’s not happening?”

The PSA also aims to make it easier for people to talk about the issue. Earl believes the PSA and continuance of projects to end sexual assault will offer a safe space for victims to talk about it without any judgment or awkwardness.

“It’s important to provide or create a culture where people can feel comfortable talking about it and to have students understand how to respond to that,” she said.

The Canes Consent event will be held from 1:30-4:30 p.m. at the Rock. There will be free T-shirts and palm cards distributed at the event to help students quickly find the resources they need depending on what action they want to take, including making a report or seeking counseling.

Nadijah Campbell

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

Paradise Camp weekend is off to a strong start for the Miami Hurricanes. Miami kicked off its massiv ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...