Basketball, Sports

Men’s basketball remains undefeated with win over Illinois

Matthew Trabold // Staff Photographer

Matthew Trabold // Staff Photographer

Coach Jim Larrañaga’s 15th-ranked Hurricanes entered a battle of unbeatens coming off a South Alabama game in which they allowed 54 second-half points. Illinois came to the BankUnited Canter fifth in the country with 90 points per game. Larrañaga’s defense cranked up the sound a notch as they held the 24th-ranked Fighting Illini to 24 points in the second half.

Illinois then came out of the locker room with a 10-0 run to cut the lead to three. So the wizards of the BUC changed their gameplan from outside sharpshooters to an old-fashioned inside attack, and it worked.

Illinois had led only once the entire night, on the first points of the night from guard Ahmad Starks’ three. The Canes led the rest of the way en route to a 70-61 win in Coral Gables.

The transition from an anemic defensive week to holding a 90-point team to 61 came through motivation and defense during practice.

“I told the team before the game…you gotta get stops,” Larrañaga said. “If you can’t stop a team that’s averaging 90 points a game, they can get 90 on you, 95.” Illinois racked up 114 points on November 16 against Coppin State.

For redshirt freshman DeAndre Burnett, who had a banner night in his young Hurricanes career with 19 points (7/16 from the floor,) he felt as though Larrañaga was the little man on his shoulder throughout the game defensively.

“Motivation from coach…if you wanna play, you gotta rebound,” laughed Burnett afterward. “I got great size, I’m pretty strong, coach always tells us we lift weights for a reason. I was just able to use my strength tonight and rebound.”

The festive atmosphere at the BUC, with the student section donning orange Santa hats, was momentarily soured when the Illini continued to cut their double-digit deficit down to as little as three in the second half, reminding many of a nail-biting 2013 NCAA tournament game between these two teams: a 63-59 Miami victory in Austin, Texas. Larrañaga called a timeout early in the half to temper that run.

“We called a timeout to say, ‘Hey, we’re not defending, they’re just gonna keep scoring,’” Larrañaga said. “There’s gonna be runs in games like this because both teams are high-octane, offensive squads…we sped the floor and gave Sheldon (McClellan) a chance to go one-on-one in the open court. We got a nice backdoor dunk for him.”

Sophomore Manu Lecomte followed Burnett’s night with 15 points of his own, followed by McClellan’s 14. Illinois’s Rayvonte Rice led both teams with 22 points. McClellan, the redshirt junior transfer from Texas, was thrilled with the unblemished start they’ve had.

“It’s definitely a great start. We’ve just gotta stay focused,” McClellan emphasized. “We’re not gonna look at any other game except Wisconsin-Green Bay…and not get caught up in all the hype and the rankings and all that.”

The 8-0 Miami Hurricanes face the Wisconsin-Green Bay Phoenix 2 p.m. Saturday at the BUC. The loss slides Illinois to 6-1 on their way back to Champaign, Illinois.

Neil Dwyer

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...