Football, Sports

Brad Kaaya named ACC Rookie of the Year

Brad Kaaya | Courtesy Hurricane Sports

Kaaya // Courtesy HurricaneSports

Brad Kaaya was announced as the ACC Rookie of the Year Tuesday afternoon, joining 12 Hurricane teammates who have received All-ACC Honors this week.

Kaaya, who ranks second in the ACC in passing yards, is the third Hurricane in program history to receive the award. Duke Johnson earned it in 2012, and Sean Spence in 2008.

Twenty-two of the 55 members of the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association (ACSMA) selected Kaaya for the award. Kaaya quickly proved himself at the collegiate level, breaking single-game passing records in back-to-back games early in the season, throwing for 342 yards against Arkansas State, then breaking that mark a week later with 359 yards against Nebraska.

In fact, some of Kaaya’s numbers this season compare with Hurricane greats – his 25 touchdown passes this season tie him with Bernie Kosar and Ken Dorsey for the fourth most touchdown passes in a single season at Miami.

Miami is currently awaiting its bowl destination; two possible games include the Independence Bowl in Shreveport and the Bitcoin Bowl in St. Petersburg.​

AJ Ricketts

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...