Campus Life, News

‘Black Lives Matter’ rally to protest Ferguson grand jury decision

Photo courtesy of Phalande Jean

Photo courtesy of Phalande Jean

A group of University of Miami students will protest the grand jury decision not to charge Officer Darren Wilson for the shooting of Michael Brown from 2 to 5 p.m. Wednesday. The group plans to march on campus while wearing black, chanting and holding signs in an effort to spread awareness of racial injustice nationwide.

The march will begin at The Rock and follow a route from the University Center, past the Student Activities Center toward the residential colleges near Lake Osceola. It will continue through the Frost School of Music, the Law School, Dooley Memorial and the Business School, finishing full-circle at The Rock.

Once back at The Rock, the protesters will perform their interpretation of a visual statement called a Die-In. This involves reading the names of victims of racial violence, including Brown and Trayvon Martin. Each name will be followed by the sound of a gunshot, and then a student falling to the ground (“dying”) in response. Once all the names of selected victims are called, the sound of six gunshots will be played to represent the number of times Wilson shot Brown. Finally, the students who remain standing will “die” and remain lying on the ground for four minutes and 30 seconds, representative of the four hours and 30 minutes Brown laid dead on the ground after being shot.

Following the grand jury decision, versions of Die-Ins have been performed around the country, stopping the flow of shoppers in major U.S. malls and interrupting campus life at educational institutions such as Harvard University.

The protest at UM is being organized by a collaboration of students who felt strongly about the Brown case. Though they support the rally independently, many of these students are members of on-campus social justice awareness organizations like United Black Students (UBS), Planet Kreyol (PK) and Students Toward A New Democracy (STAND).

Rebecca Garcia, president of STAND, is a proponent of the protest and said it intends to visually engage students.

“What we hope to accomplish is simple: to increase general awareness for racial equality, but most significantly, the state of black lives in America,” she said. “To demonstrate fully and visibly that black lives do matter, and to engage the campus community in this issue.”

Garcia is one of the hosts of a Facebook event page, #BlackLivesMatter Rally at UM, that invites others to participate in the protest.

“We are inviting any and all individuals who wish to join our protest, to make a statement to the outside community that UM students are educated and passionate about this issue, and are taking a definite stand for justice,” Garcia said.

As of noon Tuesday, 183 people are listed as “going” to the event.

S Molly Dominick

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...