Campus Life, Health, News

Health organizations educate campus on World AIDS Day

Photo by Sophie Barros.

Photo by Sophie Barros.

As part of World AIDS Day, University of Miami organizations joined forces Monday to spread awareness of the disease and promote testing.

United Against Inequities in Disease (UAID) partnered with the Student Health Center and the Miller School of Medicine’s Promote to Prevent (P2P) program, which provides STD and HIV testing to youth, in order to educate people on campus. Representatives from the organizations spoke to students about breaking the negative stigma associated with AIDS and provided free HIV testing.

“The negative reputation of the disease is one of the main reasons that HIV is still extremely prevalent in today’s society,” said Emilio Issa, president of UAID. “People are afraid to find out if they have the disease in fear of being stigmatized by loved ones as well as the community.”

The club, Issa explained, focuses on empowering students and communities to eliminate health inequities. Some of its past events included bringing HIV testing trucks to campus and organizing educational events for high school students in the community.

“We have come a long way with regards to treating HIV and expanding people’s quality of life; however, the negative reputation of the disease is still very much prevalent, more so than with any other sexually transmitted disease,” Issa said.

Gena Barr, outreach coordinator for P2P and one of the counselors and testers at Monday’s event, agreed that the lack of communication about the disease is a problem.

“You need to know your status and how to take care of yourself because, if something is wrong, the longer you wait, the worse it is,” Barr said. “HIV doesn’t have to turn into AIDS, but sometimes people take the test so late on, or take action so late on, that when they get the care, it is late and there’s not much they can do.”

Miami-Dade County and Broward County rank as Nos. 1 and 2, respectively, for HIV infection between the ages of 13 and 24 in the U.S., Barr said, which is why she thinks it is an important topic to discuss in the community.

P2P was established by the Division of Adolescent Medicine at the Miller School of Medicine to provide counseling, testing and treatment for both HIV and STDs. It is the only program in Miami that can offer patients aged 13 to 24 free and anonymous services.

“We come out to UM a lot through the year,” Barr said. “And we are doing this every day, not just for World AIDS Day. I wish that as a community, we would talk more about HIV and every disease. There’s a huge stigma attached to HIV, and if people loved each other for who they are and not for what’s in their blood, it would make the world a better place.”

Sophie Barros

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...