Edge, Travel

Miami’s Coral Castle is an eerie attraction

As if the story of a tiny, 5-foot Latvian man who somehow single-handedly lifted huge stone blocks to create a coral fort isn’t already remarkable, his castle also reveals an uncanny collection of strange, inexplicable sculptures that give life to a South Florida mystery.

Coral Castle, located just north of Homestead, offers a twisted glimpse into the bizarre and lonesome life of Edward Leedskalnin, a solitary and strange man who emigrated to America after his 16-year-old fiancé refused his love.

Leedskalnin and his castle are great enigmas, since nobody really knows how this fragile man was able to build this monolithic shrine all on his own, or even how his deadly tuberculosis disappeared a few months after he moved to Florida. According to him, his illness was partly cured due to the effects of the magnetic energy the Coral Castle area had.

Matthew Potts, a junior majoring in marketing at the University of Miami, visited the castle in search of spontaneous, fun and new things to experience. He explained that weird is sometimes cool.

“My first impression of Coral Castle was that it was extremely weird but in a cool way. I was mostly surprised that it was located in the middle of a residential neighborhood,” he said.

Surrounded by bushes, flowers and a terra cotta floor, this castle looks like a painting taken from Salvador Dali’s world. Full of psychedelic figures like crescent moons, obelisks, telescopes, sundials, bathtubs, tables and even a well, this marvel fits what seems to be normal floor plans of a regular house.

Potts was drawn in by the enigma that Coral Castle has become.

“I really enjoyed learning about the history of the castle and about the mystery behind how he moved such big pieces of rock all by himself,” he said. “It was definitely a unique experience because it’s a one-of-a-kind structure.”

It is precisely this eerie and bizarre mystery that draws most visitors into this dreamlike fortress.

Juliana Moncada, a 30-year-old tourist who considers herself a “queer” traveler, said she didn’t just stumble upon the castle. Instead, before venturing into Miami, she decided to look up the strangest things to do, and this came up.

“I didn’t really know this existed, but I came looking for it,” she said. “I’m attracted to all things eerie, and it is obvious the place itself already carries a certain unearthly hunch, so it’s a must-see.”

Some people wonder how Leedskalnin accomplished this, and for what purpose, but most simply wonder about the meaning behind the strange sculptures inside the castle grounds. Some visitors are even taken aback by the fact that such a strange and peculiar place is located in the middle of a dull suburban neighborhood.

“I really enjoyed the story behind Coral Castle as well as the structures and plants that make it up,” Potts said. “I think the castle is a mildly psychedelic place. The nature and the textures of the castle itself are probably its most psychedelic qualities. Also, the mere fact that such a strange place exists is pretty trippy.”

IF YOU GO:

WHAT: Coral Castle Museum

WHERE: 28655 S. Dixie Hwy., Homestead, Fla. 33033

WHEN: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday through Thursday; 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday

COST: Seniors 65 and up pay $12; adults between the ages of 13 and 64 pay $15, children between 7 and 12 years old pay $7 and those under 6 years enter for free.

Donatela Vacca

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...