Athletics, Football, Sports, Volleyball

Student athletes honored for talent in volleyball, football

Clive Walford

Senior tight end Clive Walford was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the John Mackey Award. The John Mackey Award annually recognizes the most outstanding collegiate tight end. Walford leads Miami pass-catchers with 33 receptions and ranks second on the team with 522 receiving yards this season. Walford would become the second winner of this award in Miami history. Kellen Winslow II was the last Cane to win in 2003.

Savanah Leaf

Canes volleyball outside hitter Savanah Leaf is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award. The award honors NCAA Division I senior student athletes in areas of community, classroom, character and competition. Winners are determined by college coaches in their respective sports, national media and fans. In addition to this honor, Leaf has been recognized as ACC Player of the week three times this season.

Duke Johnson

Junior running back Duke Johnson was selected as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2014 Doak Walker Award. The Doak Walker Award was created in 1989 to recognize the nation’s premier running back for accomplishments on the field, in the classroom and in the community. He was also placed on the 15-player Watch List for the Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of Year Award.

Justin Vogel

Sophomore punter Justin Vogel was selected as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2014 Ray Guy Award by the Augusta Sports Council. Athletes are evaluated on their statistics and contribution to the team. Vogel is averaging 44.5 yards per punt and 62.2 yards on kickoffs this season. Vogel leads the nation with 52.6 percent of his punts landing inside the 20-yard line.

Courtney Fiorini

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...