Athletics, Football, Sports, Volleyball

Student athletes honored for talent in volleyball, football

Clive Walford

Senior tight end Clive Walford was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the John Mackey Award. The John Mackey Award annually recognizes the most outstanding collegiate tight end. Walford leads Miami pass-catchers with 33 receptions and ranks second on the team with 522 receiving yards this season. Walford would become the second winner of this award in Miami history. Kellen Winslow II was the last Cane to win in 2003.

Savanah Leaf

Canes volleyball outside hitter Savanah Leaf is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award. The award honors NCAA Division I senior student athletes in areas of community, classroom, character and competition. Winners are determined by college coaches in their respective sports, national media and fans. In addition to this honor, Leaf has been recognized as ACC Player of the week three times this season.

Duke Johnson

Junior running back Duke Johnson was selected as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2014 Doak Walker Award. The Doak Walker Award was created in 1989 to recognize the nation’s premier running back for accomplishments on the field, in the classroom and in the community. He was also placed on the 15-player Watch List for the Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of Year Award.

Justin Vogel

Sophomore punter Justin Vogel was selected as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2014 Ray Guy Award by the Augusta Sports Council. Athletes are evaluated on their statistics and contribution to the team. Vogel is averaging 44.5 yards per punt and 62.2 yards on kickoffs this season. Vogel leads the nation with 52.6 percent of his punts landing inside the 20-yard line.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...