Athletics, Football, Sports, Volleyball

Student athletes honored for talent in volleyball, football

Clive Walford

Senior tight end Clive Walford was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the John Mackey Award. The John Mackey Award annually recognizes the most outstanding collegiate tight end. Walford leads Miami pass-catchers with 33 receptions and ranks second on the team with 522 receiving yards this season. Walford would become the second winner of this award in Miami history. Kellen Winslow II was the last Cane to win in 2003.

Savanah Leaf

Canes volleyball outside hitter Savanah Leaf is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award. The award honors NCAA Division I senior student athletes in areas of community, classroom, character and competition. Winners are determined by college coaches in their respective sports, national media and fans. In addition to this honor, Leaf has been recognized as ACC Player of the week three times this season.

Duke Johnson

Junior running back Duke Johnson was selected as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2014 Doak Walker Award. The Doak Walker Award was created in 1989 to recognize the nation’s premier running back for accomplishments on the field, in the classroom and in the community. He was also placed on the 15-player Watch List for the Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of Year Award.

Justin Vogel

Sophomore punter Justin Vogel was selected as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2014 Ray Guy Award by the Augusta Sports Council. Athletes are evaluated on their statistics and contribution to the team. Vogel is averaging 44.5 yards per punt and 62.2 yards on kickoffs this season. Vogel leads the nation with 52.6 percent of his punts landing inside the 20-yard line.

Courtney Fiorini

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...