Athletics, Football, Sports, Volleyball

Student athletes honored for talent in volleyball, football

Clive Walford

Senior tight end Clive Walford was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the John Mackey Award. The John Mackey Award annually recognizes the most outstanding collegiate tight end. Walford leads Miami pass-catchers with 33 receptions and ranks second on the team with 522 receiving yards this season. Walford would become the second winner of this award in Miami history. Kellen Winslow II was the last Cane to win in 2003.

Savanah Leaf

Canes volleyball outside hitter Savanah Leaf is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award. The award honors NCAA Division I senior student athletes in areas of community, classroom, character and competition. Winners are determined by college coaches in their respective sports, national media and fans. In addition to this honor, Leaf has been recognized as ACC Player of the week three times this season.

Duke Johnson

Junior running back Duke Johnson was selected as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2014 Doak Walker Award. The Doak Walker Award was created in 1989 to recognize the nation’s premier running back for accomplishments on the field, in the classroom and in the community. He was also placed on the 15-player Watch List for the Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of Year Award.

Justin Vogel

Sophomore punter Justin Vogel was selected as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2014 Ray Guy Award by the Augusta Sports Council. Athletes are evaluated on their statistics and contribution to the team. Vogel is averaging 44.5 yards per punt and 62.2 yards on kickoffs this season. Vogel leads the nation with 52.6 percent of his punts landing inside the 20-yard line.

Courtney Fiorini

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...