Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes’ season opens with one loss, one win

After two regular season games, the young Miami Hurricanes Women’s Basketball team has experienced both victory and defeat.

Miami is coming off its first loss of the season, a 4853 road game against Middle Tennessee State University. Previously, the Hurricanes won their season opener over Oakland University by 13 points. The Canes will host the North Florida Ospreys on Friday night and look to improve their record to 2-1.

In its last game, Miami was down by 15 at the half and stormed back. Sophomore Jessica Thomas led the charge, with help from double-digit performances from redshirt junior Michelle Woods and redshirt freshman Nigia Greene. They finished with 17, 11 and 10 points respectively, but couldn’t get the job done.

“It was a train wreck,” Head Coach Katie Meier said after the loss. “We wanted an opportunity to be able to come back from it, regroup at halftime, make some adjustments and get a little bit more energy in the defensive end, because we could at least control that. I didn’t think we were disjointed, particularly on offense the first half, the ball just really didn’t go in and it’s very hard for us to then set our presses and stuff when we’re not scoring.”

Senior Suriya McGuire has been providing some veteran leadership to this young squad. Against Oakland, she had a double-double with 12 points, 10 rebounds and three steals. Sophomore Adrienne Motley scored a team-high 21 points in the opener, but was held scoreless against Middle Tennessee.

All four true freshman have seen playing time. Freshman Laura Quevedo played 20 and 16 minutes in the first two games. She had three points against Oakland and freshman Khaila Prather had four in 11 minutes.

University of North Florida is also 1-1, but is coming off a win. Sophomore Bailey Florin has been playing incredibly well, setting her career high in scoring in each game this season. First, she had 16 in the loss to Georgia State and then had 19 against Edward Waters. This will be the Osprey’s first road matchup.

Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 21 at the BankUnited Center.

Courtney Fiorini

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...