Florida State tragedy reinforces humanity in the face of adversity

A recent editorial by The Miami Hurricane encouraged students to temper their attitudes toward FSU by keeping in mind the old adage that it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

Now, someone has.

Three people, in fact, were injured last night at the FSU Strozier Library by a lone gunman quickly shot down by the police. This incident is in no way linked with the competition between UM and FSU, but it should remind us that this rivalry, often breaking out red and itchy like a rash, only really runs skin deep.

Whatever lingering knee-jerk resistance you may feel toward the acronym “FSU,” put it aside, and put yourself in the shoes of the students at the Strozier Library who were wrenched from their books and their notes by the words, “Someone has a gun.”

It’s not hard to picture, is it? That this event occurred on a campus with a gun-free policy, with security described by the campus police chief as “not lacking,” reinforces the notion that such tragedies can happen anywhere.

No, you shouldn’t live your life in fear of random violence. But convince yourself that you’re immune, and you’ll risk distancing yourself from the empathy and understanding that connect human beings when they recognize their own similarities.

Panicking, running out doors, barricading stairwells, FSU students were forced to rely on primary survival instincts to which it is each of our fervent hopes we will never have to resort. The least we can do is to exercise, in solidarity, another such basic human response: compassion.

Because today, we are not rivals. Today, we remember that underneath the orange and green, underneath the garnet and gold, under blues and yellows and purples, we are all human.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...