Florida State tragedy reinforces humanity in the face of adversity

A recent editorial by The Miami Hurricane encouraged students to temper their attitudes toward FSU by keeping in mind the old adage that it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

Now, someone has.

Three people, in fact, were injured last night at the FSU Strozier Library by a lone gunman quickly shot down by the police. This incident is in no way linked with the competition between UM and FSU, but it should remind us that this rivalry, often breaking out red and itchy like a rash, only really runs skin deep.

Whatever lingering knee-jerk resistance you may feel toward the acronym “FSU,” put it aside, and put yourself in the shoes of the students at the Strozier Library who were wrenched from their books and their notes by the words, “Someone has a gun.”

It’s not hard to picture, is it? That this event occurred on a campus with a gun-free policy, with security described by the campus police chief as “not lacking,” reinforces the notion that such tragedies can happen anywhere.

No, you shouldn’t live your life in fear of random violence. But convince yourself that you’re immune, and you’ll risk distancing yourself from the empathy and understanding that connect human beings when they recognize their own similarities.

Panicking, running out doors, barricading stairwells, FSU students were forced to rely on primary survival instincts to which it is each of our fervent hopes we will never have to resort. The least we can do is to exercise, in solidarity, another such basic human response: compassion.

Because today, we are not rivals. Today, we remember that underneath the orange and green, underneath the garnet and gold, under blues and yellows and purples, we are all human.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...