Treasure time with parents

You’ve confirmed the plane reservations and are already daydreaming about your mom’s delicious, fluffy mashed potatoes. But in the back of your mind sits a sense of dread. Will your mom force you to have a curfew again or want to know where you are every second? Even worse, what if your parents want to “hang out?” What a nightmare.

To minimize stress and yelling and maximize pumpkin pie and memorable moments, take some time before you return home to prepare yourself. Think about your expectations and what your parents may expect during your return home.

It is important to establish guidelines and set expectations from the outset, maybe even during a call or Skype session. Your parents may try to control your curfew, food or activities, but remember that this is a different experience for them as well. ​You’re returning home at a different stage in your life, with enhanced experiences and a greater sense of independence.

While you may be the one who left, you may not have been the only one who changed. Your parents may have changed their habits. Put yourself in their shoes, and as an adult, show them you can respect others and understand their viewpoints. If you want to be seen as an adult, act like one.

As much as you’re hoping to catch up with friends and visit every place but your actual house, your family will want to spend time with you. Your time at home is limited, and while you want your space, it is important to realize that you will not always have the opportunity to spend time with your parents.

A positive mindset from the start is key. Biasing yourself against your parents sets you up to fail. If you lash out or ignore your parents the second you step off the plane, getting along will be much more difficult. If you are ready to be defensive, your parents will sense it, and it will hinder open communication.

Start small – go to the movies, grab frozen yogurt, or do activities that won’t instigate strong feelings or debate. Your parents are certainly bubbling with a million questions – they want to know about your life. While having an awesome political science professor may not seem like much to you, I guarantee your parents will treasure this gem of information and work it into a future conversation.

Also, four hugs a day is the rule in song, but, as a college student, even one during the entire trip will be treasured.

And if all else fails, remember it is just a week – it will end​.

Alyssa Jacobson is a senior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...