Treasure time with parents

You’ve confirmed the plane reservations and are already daydreaming about your mom’s delicious, fluffy mashed potatoes. But in the back of your mind sits a sense of dread. Will your mom force you to have a curfew again or want to know where you are every second? Even worse, what if your parents want to “hang out?” What a nightmare.

To minimize stress and yelling and maximize pumpkin pie and memorable moments, take some time before you return home to prepare yourself. Think about your expectations and what your parents may expect during your return home.

It is important to establish guidelines and set expectations from the outset, maybe even during a call or Skype session. Your parents may try to control your curfew, food or activities, but remember that this is a different experience for them as well. ​You’re returning home at a different stage in your life, with enhanced experiences and a greater sense of independence.

While you may be the one who left, you may not have been the only one who changed. Your parents may have changed their habits. Put yourself in their shoes, and as an adult, show them you can respect others and understand their viewpoints. If you want to be seen as an adult, act like one.

As much as you’re hoping to catch up with friends and visit every place but your actual house, your family will want to spend time with you. Your time at home is limited, and while you want your space, it is important to realize that you will not always have the opportunity to spend time with your parents.

A positive mindset from the start is key. Biasing yourself against your parents sets you up to fail. If you lash out or ignore your parents the second you step off the plane, getting along will be much more difficult. If you are ready to be defensive, your parents will sense it, and it will hinder open communication.

Start small – go to the movies, grab frozen yogurt, or do activities that won’t instigate strong feelings or debate. Your parents are certainly bubbling with a million questions – they want to know about your life. While having an awesome political science professor may not seem like much to you, I guarantee your parents will treasure this gem of information and work it into a future conversation.

Also, four hugs a day is the rule in song, but, as a college student, even one during the entire trip will be treasured.

And if all else fails, remember it is just a week – it will end​.

Alyssa Jacobson is a senior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...