Community, News

Tolling system may raise costs

For some commuter students at the University of Miami, the journey to and from school requires the use of major expressways. These students face the reality of paying tolls as a part of their daily routine.

An electronic tolling system has expanded to include roads in Miami-Dade County such as the Dolphin and Airport expressways, and it is changing the way UM commuters pay when they drive to class.

Miami-Dade Expressway Authority (MDX) developed this tolling system called Open Road Tolling (ORT) to relieve traffic congestion. The ORT initiative is an automatic billing system through SunPass. Before ORT, tolls were paid at traditional booths.

These most recent roads added to ORT are the SR 836/Dolphin Expressway and SR 122/Airport Expressway, which launched Saturday.

Although drivers may have to pay tolls more regularly than before, members of the Association of Commuter Students (ACS) did not see these changes in cost as significant in light of the overall cost of tolls.

Rather than cost, ACS member Gabriel Prado focused on the speed of automatic tolling.

“Now it’s great because you can just fly by and don’t need to stop,” he said. “It doesn’t take as long to drive places. It’s really about convenience.”

At traditional booths, drivers only pay if they happen to pass that booth. For example, MDX estimates that only about 55 percent of drivers on Dolphin Expressway paid tolls prior to ORT. For unpaid tolls, license plates of vehicles that did not pay were photographed, and the driver was issued a traffic ticket.

Unpaid tolls will now no longer result in a ticket. The vehicle’s license plate will still be photographed, but the driver will receive a bill for only the amount of the toll, plus a processing fee. The system for unpaid tolls also applies to drivers who do not have SunPass.

Freshman Annelise Fernandez, who pays about $145 a month just on tolls, appreciates this update.

“But at least, if I forget my SunPass, now I won’t get charged a full traffic ticket and just the amount of the toll,” she said.

Junior Malik Bibby, however, is not all pleased with these changes. He said the camera systems have taken away job opportunities for those that once sought work at traditional toll booths.

He also mentioned that this system could burden those traveling across state lines.

“It becomes harder to use receipts of travel from tolls to be reimbursed by a business because it takes time for them to find you and send a bill,” Bibby said.

Every vehicle automatically pays a toll just by entering the expressway. The amount of the toll, however, depends on how long a vehicle remains on the route, so a motorist who drives on Dolphin Expressway for 50 feet will not be charged as much as a motorist who drives for a mile.

S Molly Dominick

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...