Smart Meals program promotes teacher-student communication

More professors may be making their way to the dining halls thanks to Smart Meals, a Student Government (SG) program that extends students’ interactions with their professors beyond the classroom and office hours.

SG developed Smart Meals to allow students to ask a professor to share a free lunch with them in the Mahoney-Pearson or Hecht-Stanford dining halls. The initiative promotes building a closer connection between professors and students.

“College life isn’t all about how well you do in the classroom – it’s also about how you connect with your professors, who are great resources not only as teachers but also as mentors in life in general or for a specific career,” said Renee Perez, the SG senate public relations chair.

One major purpose of the Smart Meals program is to afford students the chance to discuss potential internships and research opportunities that their professors might be able to help them take part in.

“I would hope to see premed students talking about doing research with that professor,” said Brianna Hathaway, speaker of the Senate. “I know a lot of students have also talked with their professors about studying abroad. I want students to talk about internships that would best help them in their future careers,”

Junior Vinessa Burnett had lunch with Professor Tyler Harrison who teaches in the School of Communication. Burnett asked Harrison about available career opportunities in her major, communication studies.

“It helped me a lot to understand what exactly I’m majoring in, especially because my concentration is organizational communication and he [Harrison] teaches organizational communication,” she said. “It also gave me the opportunity to get to know my professor better and feel more comfortable with him.”

The Smart Meals program allows for students to talk to their professors in a more relaxed, personal environment where grades are not the main objective.

“It enables a more informal, personalized discussion that happens in a way that is still academic but more natural,” said English Professor Susan Leary, who participated in the program with one of her former students. “I think it’s great for the standard faculty-student interaction and for cultivating more of a learning environment.”

Due to the interest that students displayed towards the program, it will be returning in the future with more than the twenty five spots that were offered this semester.

Info box:

If interested in participating, the program is available to the first 25 students who register. Find more information at tiny.cc/UMsmartmeals.

The fall semester program ends Dec. 17.

Jori Grossman

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...