Pack like a pro this Thanksgiving break

With Thanksgiving break just around the corner, the struggle of what to pack and how to survive our rendezvous with winter is becoming more than real.

Yet it’s a no-brainer: unless you’re planning on staying below the Florida-Georgia line, you will indeed experience real fall weather. With North, Northeastern and Central U.S. expecting low temperatures between 40 and even 20 degrees Fahrenheit, it is obvious that Miami clothing will be left behind.

If you’re just coming back home, it will not be much of a problem, since most of your winter coats are probably stored deep in the dark corners of your closet.

If you are an unsuspecting Floridian, however, it is time you start exploring your options or just run to the nearest mall.

So, if you are going back home or you are exploring new lands, you know what to bring and what to leave behind in order to enjoy a wonderful turkey day.

Cold State Natives

If cold temperatures are old news for you, just make sure that everything you need to brace the cold is indeed at your place. Give mom a call and check if your coats are still there and not folded on the racks of the nearest Goodwill. It’s probably been a while since you last used them, and it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Don’t over-pack; you probably have everything you need back home. Forget the toothbrush, leave the toiletries and drop the short sleeves – there’s no space for that. You don’t want to add stress to the madness of moving around during Thanksgiving, so traveling light is a must.

Venturing Floridians

If you are not used to cold temperatures, packing might not be as easy as it sounds. When traveling for pleasure, taking planes and staying at hotels, packing is a whole different story.

Trying to decide how many coats to take, what type of shoes to bring or which sweaters to choose can become really stressful. The key to surviving fall weather outside of Florida is layers. Make sure you pack stuff that will allow you to customize your clothing to the perfect level of comfort.

So here are some useful tips:

-Leave toiletries, available at any convenience store, behind.

-Pack just three or four outfits from which you can later mix and match each piece of clothing into a new ensemble.

Some suggestions:

• Two or three sweaters
  • No more than two coats
  • A fluffy, waterproof jacket with a hoodie
  • One comfortable sweatshirt
  • A winter dress
  • Basic black leggings
  • Two pairs of skinny jeans to fit inside the boots
  • Two pairs of fashionable and waterproof boots
  • Warm, long socks for boots

Take the fewest accessories and jewelry you can, since winter clothes will make them practically invisible:

• One or two scarves
  • One or two pairs of gloves
  • Two purses (a big and comfy one and a smaller purse)
  • Tights
  • Beanies and winter hats

Donatela Vacca

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...