Pack like a pro this Thanksgiving break

With Thanksgiving break just around the corner, the struggle of what to pack and how to survive our rendezvous with winter is becoming more than real.

Yet it’s a no-brainer: unless you’re planning on staying below the Florida-Georgia line, you will indeed experience real fall weather. With North, Northeastern and Central U.S. expecting low temperatures between 40 and even 20 degrees Fahrenheit, it is obvious that Miami clothing will be left behind.

If you’re just coming back home, it will not be much of a problem, since most of your winter coats are probably stored deep in the dark corners of your closet.

If you are an unsuspecting Floridian, however, it is time you start exploring your options or just run to the nearest mall.

So, if you are going back home or you are exploring new lands, you know what to bring and what to leave behind in order to enjoy a wonderful turkey day.

Cold State Natives

If cold temperatures are old news for you, just make sure that everything you need to brace the cold is indeed at your place. Give mom a call and check if your coats are still there and not folded on the racks of the nearest Goodwill. It’s probably been a while since you last used them, and it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Don’t over-pack; you probably have everything you need back home. Forget the toothbrush, leave the toiletries and drop the short sleeves – there’s no space for that. You don’t want to add stress to the madness of moving around during Thanksgiving, so traveling light is a must.

Venturing Floridians

If you are not used to cold temperatures, packing might not be as easy as it sounds. When traveling for pleasure, taking planes and staying at hotels, packing is a whole different story.

Trying to decide how many coats to take, what type of shoes to bring or which sweaters to choose can become really stressful. The key to surviving fall weather outside of Florida is layers. Make sure you pack stuff that will allow you to customize your clothing to the perfect level of comfort.

So here are some useful tips:

-Leave toiletries, available at any convenience store, behind.

-Pack just three or four outfits from which you can later mix and match each piece of clothing into a new ensemble.

Some suggestions:

• Two or three sweaters
  • No more than two coats
  • A fluffy, waterproof jacket with a hoodie
  • One comfortable sweatshirt
  • A winter dress
  • Basic black leggings
  • Two pairs of skinny jeans to fit inside the boots
  • Two pairs of fashionable and waterproof boots
  • Warm, long socks for boots

Take the fewest accessories and jewelry you can, since winter clothes will make them practically invisible:

• One or two scarves
  • One or two pairs of gloves
  • Two purses (a big and comfy one and a smaller purse)
  • Tights
  • Beanies and winter hats

Donatela Vacca

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...