Index funds prove more safe, dependable than hedge funds

In the investment world, hedge funds are completely unnecessary. Many new investors in the stock market see hedge funds as a tantalizingly low-risk opportunity, but investing in them is ultimately a mistake.

Hedge funds are companies that manage assets for their shareholders. Rather than buying their own stocks, investors in a hedge fund are essentially paying trained analysts to buy stocks for them. The thinking is that the returns from a professional investment company would be greater than what the average person could earn, even after the hedge fund takes a fee.

In fact, the opposite is usually true. Hedge funds rarely outperform the market, charge exorbitant fees and have run afoul of the law regularly since the financial crisis.

Hedge funds are a bad idea for the simple fact that they are unprofitable. Hedge funds consistently underperform stocks, and have only done worse as of recent. In fact, after stocks experienced a massive resurgence in recent years, hedge funds have remained more or less stagnant. Moreover, they have been riddled with scandal. SAC Capital and PIMCO, two of the largest hedge funds, have been investigated by the Securities and Exchange Commission for insider trading and falsely boosting returns in one of their funds, respectively.

There is an alternative that works for people who want the security and hands-off quality that hedge funds seem to provide. The best choice of investment remains the index fund, a type of investment that bundles a group of stocks chosen automatically (generally from a major index, like the 500 biggest companies, hence the name “index fund”).

Because it serves as a sort of proxy for the stock market as a whole, an investment in an index fund is an investment in the stock market itself. And, in the long term, the stock market is one of the most consistently profitable economic sectors in the world. Though there are definitely shocks and downturns, over any reasonably large period of time, the stock market has about a 9 percent annual return.

Anyone with enough luck can outperform it occasionally, creating misconceptions about the wisdom of investing in hedge funds. But in the long run, there is nothing better than an index fund for a safe, dependable investment.

Andrew Langen is a sophomore majoring in economics and math.

Andrew Langen

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...