Index funds prove more safe, dependable than hedge funds

In the investment world, hedge funds are completely unnecessary. Many new investors in the stock market see hedge funds as a tantalizingly low-risk opportunity, but investing in them is ultimately a mistake.

Hedge funds are companies that manage assets for their shareholders. Rather than buying their own stocks, investors in a hedge fund are essentially paying trained analysts to buy stocks for them. The thinking is that the returns from a professional investment company would be greater than what the average person could earn, even after the hedge fund takes a fee.

In fact, the opposite is usually true. Hedge funds rarely outperform the market, charge exorbitant fees and have run afoul of the law regularly since the financial crisis.

Hedge funds are a bad idea for the simple fact that they are unprofitable. Hedge funds consistently underperform stocks, and have only done worse as of recent. In fact, after stocks experienced a massive resurgence in recent years, hedge funds have remained more or less stagnant. Moreover, they have been riddled with scandal. SAC Capital and PIMCO, two of the largest hedge funds, have been investigated by the Securities and Exchange Commission for insider trading and falsely boosting returns in one of their funds, respectively.

There is an alternative that works for people who want the security and hands-off quality that hedge funds seem to provide. The best choice of investment remains the index fund, a type of investment that bundles a group of stocks chosen automatically (generally from a major index, like the 500 biggest companies, hence the name “index fund”).

Because it serves as a sort of proxy for the stock market as a whole, an investment in an index fund is an investment in the stock market itself. And, in the long term, the stock market is one of the most consistently profitable economic sectors in the world. Though there are definitely shocks and downturns, over any reasonably large period of time, the stock market has about a 9 percent annual return.

Anyone with enough luck can outperform it occasionally, creating misconceptions about the wisdom of investing in hedge funds. But in the long run, there is nothing better than an index fund for a safe, dependable investment.

Andrew Langen is a sophomore majoring in economics and math.

Andrew Langen

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...