Enjoy Thanksgiving before holiday gifting

It wasn’t long after everyone had packed away their Halloween costumes that Christmas jingles started playing on the radio. Holiday season seems to be in full swing.

And with Black Friday right around the corner, now looks like the prime time to start stocking up on the gifts you’ll give to all your friends and family during the upcoming months. The end of November signals the start of the winter bargain hunt.

The shopping season typically begins the day after Thanksgiving, but this year, many retailers are opening their doors on Thanksgiving itself, such as Best Buy, Target and J.C. Penney. Several stores, such as Costco, have already begun their extended holiday hours.

Retailers hungry for sales will be pushing harder and harder to draw customers in early. Millennials like us, according to a survey by financial services company Bankrate, Inc., are more likely than any other age group to shop on Black Friday and Cyber Monday this year.

While good deals may be tempting, don’t set your sights so far ahead that you neglect the holiday coming up in just one week.

It’s true that the pilgrims weren’t quite as nice to the Native Americans as the illustrated storybooks we read in elementary school would have us believe. Ransacking the shelves on Black Friday may actually be a fairly appropriate way of honoring their interactions.

But the spirit of Thanksgiving goes beyond history and has come to represent togetherness and generosity that participation in a consumerist frenzy makes it easy to forget.

UM students are fortunate enough have an entire week off to spend however they please. Whether you’re going home to visit your family or catching up on homework, try to use the time to unwind in some way.

If you really feel that you need to start preparing your presents, you can always try making them at home. A sincere and thoughtful card, even if it’s just a few sentences, can have a lot more impact than a candle you found on sale at Target.

There is no need to feed the hysteria that only grows stronger as we move toward December. Christmas is coming and it’ll get here no matter what. Until then, enjoy Thanksgiving.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...